Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2009, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Boy Model 8241AE high speed issue

I just picked up this lawn boy for my yard. It runs great on low speed no issue there but at high speed while mowing its surging and also when you tilt the mower to turn the idle also slows significantly. It kind of acts like the mower is running out of gas when turning. I cleaned the exhaust ports, cleaned the carb, put in a new filter, fresh gas 32:1, checked the crank seals, and installed a new plug. Every thing looks good. Do I need to adjust the needle on top of the carb OR is this a float or clog issue? Any help would be great. I will check back and answer any questions you have for me that I havent addressed yet.

Thanks again.

Jason
Old 05-15-2009, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I may be wrong, but I think that is an older model with an air vane as the governor. I would check the governor.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure the governor spring is properly installed with the 90 degree bend protruding from the hole in the speed adjustment bushing. I have seen the bend come through the bushing and cause some problems. The surge may be a sign that the engine is "hunting" for fuel. With a 1/4" wrench open the adjustment(counter clockwise) a little at a time and possibly it will even out for you. Did you check the float when putting back together to see that the float is parallel to the carb body. A float that is set to high may inhibit proper fuel flow. Just some thoughts and your mileage may vary.

Dutch

Breakdown of carb:https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/ind...Caller=lawnboy

Last edited by dutch1; 05-16-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: add break down of carb
Old 05-17-2009, 06:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I got the mower running great. I got the online manual from Lawnboy.com went through the carb and set it back to factory spec along with blowing out all of the orfices with compressed air and carb cleaner. It appears the needle was set way too rich, float height wasnt set right along with it not being clamped onto the float hing pin, and possibly the bowl air bleed was clogged. The mower is running like new now! Thanks for everyones help. Hope this helps some one in the future.