Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2002, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sutech Stealth and Troybilt 33" Mowers

I have read all of the past threads on both of these units but would like to get some more up to date information. For those of you who have used the Stealth unit (especially the ones with the Kawasaki engine) and the Troybilt unit, what do you really think about it? I would only be using these units for 10 lots.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I started out with the Troybilt Widecut mower. It makes as nice a cut as any mower on the market but just is not built to take commercial mowing. Spindles and belts wear out real fast compared to a commercial. Also parts are not as eazy to come by. I have even had Troybilt tell me that blades were on backorder and it might be 6 weeks before they got any. I researched the Stealth and basically the same.

I have the Troybilt 33 with mulch kit, side discharge and a bagger for sale with 1 year use for sale for $600.00. This includes electric start. Also my serial numbers on the motor indicate it is a 12 HP instead of 9 HP. Includes spare belt, spindles & etc.

This mower is great if you don't plan on expanding. Also for gated yards.
Old 04-01-2002, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

CLM,

Have you found the Troybilt to cut down on your mowing time versus a 21"?
Old 04-01-2002, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a widecut Troybilt that I bought before they came out with the 3-in-one deck. Mine just mulches. Does a great job on grass that isn't too wet or too tall. (No discharge). I can't compare to any other walk behinds. This mower is used on small lots or in fenced in yards with a narrow gate. Mine is an 8 hp Briggs and hasn't given any trouble. The worse thing that I can say about this mower is that it wears out your hand holding down the blade engagement handle while at the same time holding down the handle that engages the drive wheels. I walk along and swap hands so that my hand doesn't cramp up so bad. Haven't had any problems getting belts. Dealer here in town stocks a good supply of the most used items. Based on my experience with this mower, I would probably buy another if I didn't need something larger. DW
Old 04-01-2002, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Joed...The 33" cut of the Troybilt is much faster than a 21" cut. It has 3 forward gears plus reverse. The newer Troybilt has an engagement lever for the blades so you don't have to hold the lever down all the time. I was very pleased with everything about this mower other than over a period of time it won't hold up to the kind of mowing I do. The cut is as nice as any mower I have seen.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Troybilt went bankrupt a while back and the mower and tiller lines were bought out by MTD. Maybe the parts supply will get better, as MTD should have some pretty deep pockets to increase production if they need to.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

joed, i remember your situation. with your tight schedule the last thing you need is downtime. with the toro 21"downtime is minimal.

how much time will you gain on ten lawns? if you think the deck will save you that much time, get a belt 32 or 36 inch. if the time saving is minimal, avoid the repairs and stick to the toro.

but definatley look at larger decks if you plan on expanding.

and definately take a back up if you decide to run a stealth.

i will admit i, when the machine was running, had no probs with the cut.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 04-01-2002, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Troybilt is like running 2, 21's....good little gate mower for the money. I used mine as a primary mower until I had enough accounts for the 48", still use it for the fences and as a backup.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fellows,
Thanks for the great feedback. Now could some of you give me some feedback on the Sutech.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cub Cadet makes a couple of wodels that look just like the Troybilt. Seeing how MTD bought them out, I'd say one was making mowers for the other.