Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2009, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Need help getting 455 JD yanmar diesel to start?

I changed the fuel filter just like the operators manual said to do; but I can't get it to start again. I know I have air in the system and I have tried to crack a fuel line but I can't get fuel pump to send fuel pass the fuel filter. I assume that the fuel pump sending unit is electric and should pump fuel if the key is on? Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this motor? Thanks for your help!
Old 05-17-2009, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, did you prime the fuel filter before you installed it.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

There should be a bleeder screw at the top of the filter housing. (Or, you can loosen the bowl a bit) With the key on, (you should hear the pump running) loosen the screw until the bowl fills up, then close it and prime the injectors.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the replies; yes I did fill the bowl with clean fuel and had the bowl loose and turned the key on but I never heard the pump turn on; I waited for what I thought was long enough that fuel would flow but not much came out of the line. I took the line off from the bowl housing but just a little fuel came out. I will try to retrace my steps today.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am not sure about your model and manufacture but most diesels have a lift pump that is mechanical not electrical, so you will not here a pump. The only thing you can do is keep trying to start it with the key and battery charger or some how prime the line. Normally next to the lift pump there is a hand pump you unscrew and pump. The lift pump should be on the side of your injection pump.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Another trick on those small diesels that I've learned (had a lot of lift pumps die) is to put some pressure in the tank with a compressor. I'd use a blow gun and a rag around the filler neck on the fuel tank to seal it up. You don't have to use much pressure, but it will help get the fuel up to the pump. Have someone cranking while you're putting pressure on the tank. Never had it not work. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

most of the newer ones are a electric ....my f935 jd has a electric lift pump i had a 455 jd it had one too.....and yes they do go bad i had to replce the one on my jd270 skid and my jd 9650 combine....check wires to make sure you didnt unplug the pump by mistake...there is a bleeder screw at the top of the filter holder...with the key on you should hear the pump run