Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2009, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

About time for some clock and remote pics, I'd say.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been working on the conduit for the wiring and hope to have the pad for the pump and ped formed up over the weekend. The wife will have different plans I'm sure, but we'll see what get's done. I will be sure to take plenty of pics.

I did install a addition flow transmitter on the main line the other night to give me a better idea of the GPM that each zone is currently running, so I can double up some of the drip zones. Reducing the time the pump will run for each individual zone.

This flow sensor/transmitter is in addition to the flow sensor that is used by the Calsense controller.

Name:  flow transmitter 3.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  69.1 KB

Tonight I started to install a junction box to bring all the zone wires together, before they run out to the controller. These WAGO terminal blocks can be jumped, so that zones can be tied together without having to connect each zone wire together.

Name:  J box 1.jpg
Size:  56.9 KB

I've also been building a control panel, that will control my storage tanks, pump and display system parameters.
  1. Tank level %
  2. Pump GPM
  3. Pump Amperage
  4. Pump Voltage
  5. Pump Suction PSI
  6. Pump Discharge PSI
  7. Main Line PSI
  8. Tank fill GPM
  9. Field wire voltage
  10. Pump elapsed hours

The difference between the Discharge pressure and the Main line pressure will be the filter differential PSI so I know when to clean the filter.

At this point I'm collecting about 4000 gallons a day, from the drainage ditch that runs along side of my property that I have a catch basin in. This ditch has water constantly running through it from springs on the hill side across from my house. As the summer goes on, and depending on local rainfall, this spring fed water will eventually diminish to a point that will not sustain the requirements of the irrigation system. I will then need to supplement the spring water with water from my well to fill the cistern tanks.

The controller I'm building uses a ultrasonic transducer to measure the water level in the tank. I have it set up here shooting at the wall for testing purposes.

Ultrasonic transducer.
Name:  Level Sensor.JPG
Size:  21.2 KB

Depending on the tank level, and if the irrigation system is running or not, the controller will replenish the tank at two different fill rates.

It works something like this. If the irrigation system is running, and the tank draws down and becomes less than a certain percentage, the controller will turn on an Asco 3/4" valve and fill the tank with well water at a high rate. If the tank level continues to drops below a certain percentage, the controller will shut down the pump, before it loses prime. Once the tank level has re-established to a certain percentage the pump will restart, if the Calsense controller is still running a program and is calling for water.

If the irrigation system is not running, or once the Calsense controller has completed it's program. This controller will switch on a different Asco 3/4" valve with a Dole Flow control valve installed in-line that will limit the fill rate to maybe 3GPM. A flow computer will then count the number of gallons that have entered the tank by means of a flow sensor/transmitter. When a predetermined number of gallons has been reached, the controller will then switch the fill water off for a predetermined amount of time. After that time has expired, the computer will then start the cycle again until the cistern tank is filled to a predetermined percentage.

This should give plenty of time to fill the tank, and give the well time to replenish. I will have to tweak the rates and times accordingly to keep up with the irrigation system, also depending on my natural water source. Or I will switch the fill system off prior to a predicted rainfall to let rain water fill the tank. I'm also thinking about hooking up a barometer that will turn off the fill system when atmospheric pressure drops, indicating an approaching storm. Which will then fill the tank from rainfall.

There are two amber lights on the front of the panel that tell me which valve is open, and a switch allow the valves to be run manually, automatically or the controller to be turned off all together.

Name:  Display 3.JPG
Size:  26.8 KB

There's another separate controller that controls the pump.

When the Calsense controller calls for the irrigation pump to turn on. This controller will in turn start the pump. A built in timer will allow the pump to run while pressures stabilize. After a predetermined amount of time the pump will continue to run unless, mainline pressure does not build (lose of prime), suction pressure becomes high (plugged intake) or the filter pressure becomes high (plugged filter) If any of these parameters are met the pump will shut down.

This will then trigger a alarm light, notifying me of a problem.

Here a pic. of the wiring for that controller. And you thought ML was anal about his wiring. You haven't seen anything yet.
Attached Images

Flat Screw Driver
Phillips Screw Driver
Pliers
Channel Locks
Side Cutter
Needle Nose
Fluke Multi Meter
Greenlee Amp Clamp
PVC Cutter
Hack Saw
Shovel
Sledge Hammer
Post Hole Digger
Broom
Rake
Rags

Last edited by TRILAWNCARE; 05-23-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Jesus Dude!

It's 9:50 and I just stopped working outside putting a hose bib in my garden .. I feel like a wimp compared to you.

Are you putting moisture sensors through out each zone as well?
Old 05-23-2009, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
Jesus Dude!

It's 9:50 and I just stopped working outside putting a hose bib in my garden .. I feel like a wimp compared to you.

Are you putting moisture sensors through out each zone as well?
No this is how it works.

Quote:
The moisture data is transmitted to the irrigation controller on the remote control valve wiring. Special wires that run between the irrigation controller and the sensor are not necessary. The only additional wiring required is between the remote control valve and the Model 1000-S sensor, using 14AWG wire. The total maximum wire run between moisture sensor and the irrigation controller is 3,000 feet. There is no maintenance or calibration required for the life of the sensor.

The Calsense Models ET2000 and ET2000e irrigation controllers, using the sensor to measure available water in the pore space of the soil, makes a decision before each cycle start whether or not to continue applying water. This decision is based on the actual moisture reading compared to the user-determined moisture set point. A representative station for each different climatic and plant material zone is given a sensor and is known as a Master Station. Slave Stations are stations without sensors and are assigned to a master station that shares similar water requirements. The user chooses groups of stations controlled by the same sensor during initial setup. Stations can be easily changed or moved from one sensor to another through user-friendly controller programming.

A general guideline of one moisture sensor per four active valves works well to cover varying site conditions.

Flat Screw Driver
Phillips Screw Driver
Pliers
Channel Locks
Side Cutter
Needle Nose
Fluke Multi Meter
Greenlee Amp Clamp
PVC Cutter
Hack Saw
Shovel
Sledge Hammer
Post Hole Digger
Broom
Rake
Rags
Old 05-23-2009, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is your well system metered? or free water?
Old 05-23-2009, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRILAWNCARE View Post
No this is how it works.
Wow that's freaking awesome!! I want one I want one.. I Have never dealt with that and to be honest I don't really ever deal with all those kind of luxuries for irrigation.

I have always thought of this. Because DU and AE will never be perfect.I Think it would be awesome to have moisture sensors installed ( Maybe every head) or through out the zone and the system be able to run the zone but be able to turn off specific irrigation heads when needed.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Is your well system metered? or free water?
The natural water I collect from my catch basin's is of course free. The well water is also free, minus the electricity to pump it.

Flat Screw Driver
Phillips Screw Driver
Pliers
Channel Locks
Side Cutter
Needle Nose
Fluke Multi Meter
Greenlee Amp Clamp
PVC Cutter
Hack Saw
Shovel
Sledge Hammer
Post Hole Digger
Broom
Rake
Rags
Old 05-23-2009, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Wow that's freaking awesome!! I want one I want one.. I Have never dealt with that and to be honest I don't really ever deal with all those kind of luxuries for irrigation.

I have always thought of this. Because DU and AE will never be perfect.I Think it would be awesome to have moisture sensors installed ( Maybe every head) or through out the zone and the system be able to run the zone but be able to turn off specific irrigation heads when needed.
All you need to do is PRAY. :Like my sig say's. (and watch Ebay)

Now you will understand why Kiril and I (and others) call this the best irrigation control system made.

Flat Screw Driver
Phillips Screw Driver
Pliers
Channel Locks
Side Cutter
Needle Nose
Fluke Multi Meter
Greenlee Amp Clamp
PVC Cutter
Hack Saw
Shovel
Sledge Hammer
Post Hole Digger
Broom
Rake
Rags
Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRILAWNCARE View Post
The controller I'm building uses a ultrasonic transducer to measure the water level in the tank. I have it set up here shooting at the wall for testing purposes.
Couldn't you use your transducer to also measure fill volume? This would eliminate the need for another flow sensor.

With the amount of money you are spending on this system, here is hoping you are putting in an arboretum to utilize it.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Calsense is not worthy to have TriLawn Kiril. Whatever he decides to give it to do is more than it deserves. Frankly Calsense should send him a big fat check for finally getting one of these on the site in depth.