Very impressive Tri. Nice report going.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is the Signet a turbine sensor?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Couldn't you use your transducer to also measure fill volume? This would eliminate the need for another flow sensor.

With the amount of money you are spending on this system, here is hoping you are putting in an arboretum to utilize it.
You could use another transducer I suppose. But it would not be as accurate. The process meter the transducer is connected to is calibrated for volume already. The transducer actually measures distance to the water, and sends out a 4-20 milliamp current loop to the meter, the meter then uses a linearization feature, with 11 set points to calculate the volume in the tank. PD690 process meter

The transducer cost me about $55.00 and the flow sensor/transmitter around $20.00. ($10.00 of that was shipping) Most everything that I use, I already have, salvage from old machines, or purchase on Ebay for a song. I'm still in need of a couple more process meters, hence the empty holes in the panel. The meters are running around $35.00.

You can't tell me that you won't have a bunch of spare change wrapped up in all your low voltage house automation..... I guess when your into something, the cost is the last thing on your mind....

Flat Screw Driver
Phillips Screw Driver
Pliers
Channel Locks
Side Cutter
Needle Nose
Fluke Multi Meter
Greenlee Amp Clamp
PVC Cutter
Hack Saw
Shovel
Sledge Hammer
Post Hole Digger
Broom
Rake
Rags
Old 05-23-2009, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Is the Signet a turbine sensor?
515 paddle wheel sensor

Flat Screw Driver
Phillips Screw Driver
Pliers
Channel Locks
Side Cutter
Needle Nose
Fluke Multi Meter
Greenlee Amp Clamp
PVC Cutter
Hack Saw
Shovel
Sledge Hammer
Post Hole Digger
Broom
Rake
Rags
Old 05-23-2009, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRILAWNCARE View Post
Here a pic. of the wiring for that controller. And you thought ML was anal about his wiring. You haven't seen anything yet.
Good golly, that is beautiful!
Old 05-23-2009, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a current-loop turbine sensor on ebay for about ten bucks - never did anything with it.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I bought a current-loop turbine sensor on ebay for about ten bucks - never did anything with it.
Hook it up to your shower....

Flat Screw Driver
Phillips Screw Driver
Pliers
Channel Locks
Side Cutter
Needle Nose
Fluke Multi Meter
Greenlee Amp Clamp
PVC Cutter
Hack Saw
Shovel
Sledge Hammer
Post Hole Digger
Broom
Rake
Rags
Old 05-23-2009, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You could use another transducer I suppose. But it would not be as accurate. The process meter the transducer is connected to is calibrated for volume already. The transducer actually measures distance to the water, and sends out a 4-20 milliamp current loop to the meter, the meter then uses a linearization feature, with 11 set points to calculate the volume in the tank. PD690 process meter
Right. If you know the total volume of the tank, and the current water level, you can determine the total gals of fluid in the tank. Would even be easier if you did it by length (i.e. 1" of tank water = x gals). I guess you don't have the option to write custom macros?

Quote:
You can't tell me that you won't have a bunch of spare change wrapped up in all your low voltage house automation..... I guess when your into something, the cost is the last thing on your mind....
Future proofing and investment. I suspect the system could run 30-50K (or more) depending on what you do with it. My goal right now is putting the infrastructure in place to allow for the most flexibility in system options and allow for easy upgrades as technology changes. The infrastructure is a relatively small cost (except for my time) with potentially huge benefits.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow.... I was going to post some pictures of my Maxi-Com out in my garage but your badass pump/water collection system control panel is way way cooler.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Right. If you know the total volume of the tank, and the current water level, you can determine the total gals of fluid in the tank. Would even be easier if you did it by length (i.e. 1" of tank water = x gals). I guess you don't have the option to write custom macros?
The Niaagara Model 1030F flow computer counts the pulses from the flow sensor, it can be programmed to do different things, and has some built in relay's. But it does not use a 4-20 milliamp loop like what is put out by the level transducer.

Some day I might convert the whole system over to a programmable logic controller (PLC) and then I could use the tank volume as a reference for the number of gallons that have been added, switching on and off the fill valves. The only problem would be that it would also count the number of natural spring fed gallons that are added to the tank also. Not that it would be that big of problem, and could be adjusted for.

The process meters that I use also have built in relays that can be made to activate at different set points. With enough relays you could essentially "write a macro" to do what ever you want. (Like turning on and off valves dependent on certain conditions) Basically what I'm doing.

The PLC would simplify all that, but then your talking some big money. Not only for the controller, but for the software to program it. I think Allen Bradley software for a SLC-500 starts at somewhere around $3000.00. There are cheaper PLC that come with software of course, but the way I'm doing it is a little more challenging. Also keeps my electrical engineering skills honed...

Quote:
Would even be easier if you did it by length (i.e. 1" of tank water = x gals).
If the tank was rectangular this would work, but my tanks are round. 1" of water in the middle might be 200 gallons where 1" of water when it is full might be more like 10 gallons. That is what the linearization feature in the meter compensates for.

Flat Screw Driver
Phillips Screw Driver
Pliers
Channel Locks
Side Cutter
Needle Nose
Fluke Multi Meter
Greenlee Amp Clamp
PVC Cutter
Hack Saw
Shovel
Sledge Hammer