Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Honda ES6500 Generator won't run more than 10 minutes

Hey Guys,
I have a Honda Es6500 generator that I am working on. The unit will start up every time with no problem but will not run more than 10 minutes. It will run fine for a few minutes and than rev and sputter and finally die.
This is a '95 unit. The owners told me that a guy was working on it and had the air cover off the carb throat. The unit began to sputter and it backfired. Sent a flame out the air intake and caught the guys arm on fire. 3rd degree burns but the owners were Amish and fixed him right up. Anyway, the generator was flaming in some areas until they put water on it and put it out.
I first found the oil sensor wouldn't let the engine run ( even though the level was full ) so I cut the wire to the sensor. I have changed the oil, plugs, air filter and fuel filter ( one that was on fuel line-don't know if there is another one ). I also replaced the wires that were burned. Unit puts out power with no problem. I just don't know what is causing the engine to die like this. Do I need the take the carb apart and clean it? Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Just an obvious point, being as I am unfamiliar with that unit... How is the fuel cap/breather? Could be building a vacuum in the fuel tank? Also, heat/fire damage can wreak havoc on the ignition components. Can be checked with a multimeter and the specs. (Which I don't have)

Good luck.