Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2009, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

New Z4200

Just got my Z4200 home yesterday. Installed the bagger and cut the lawn. This is my first ZTR and I love it! After a couple mowings I think I will be much more comfortable with the steering and reduce my mowing time. Couple items that I am interested in knowing more about:

HOUR METER - Any one have photos or know where photos can be found of one mounted? Is it out of the way or in the dash or where?

STRIPE KIT - I have made my own for my other mower using a piece of conveyor belt and it worked OK. I have looked all over for pictures of the Toro stripe kit, but found none. The dealer had one, but it was in the back boxed up so I could not see how it mounted, what it was made of, etc. Does anyone have photos of one of these stripe kits mounted on a Z mower?

TIRES - I notice that there is a smooth front tire option for my mower for around $100. What are the advantages? Also, are there wider rear tire options to provide more traction?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help point me in the right direction on some of these questions!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Sponsor

Z4200 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbt1234 View Post
Just got my Z4200 home yesterday. Installed the bagger and cut the lawn. This is my first ZTR and I love it! After a couple mowings I think I will be much more comfortable with the steering and reduce my mowing time. Couple items that I am interested in knowing more about:

HOUR METER - Any one have photos or know where photos can be found of one mounted? Is it out of the way or in the dash or where?

STRIPE KIT - I have made my own for my other mower using a piece of conveyor belt and it worked OK. I have looked all over for pictures of the Toro stripe kit, but found none. The dealer had one, but it was in the back boxed up so I could not see how it mounted, what it was made of, etc. Does anyone have photos of one of these stripe kits mounted on a Z mower?

TIRES - I notice that there is a smooth front tire option for my mower for around $100. What are the advantages? Also, are there wider rear tire options to provide more traction?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help point me in the right direction on some of these questions!
pbt1234 -

The optional hour meter (part number 112-9763) for the Toro TimeCutter zero turn mowers is mounted underneath the seat on the cross member that the seat springs are attached to. The hour meter works great for keeping track of use to make sure your mower gets maintained at the proper intervals.

The Toro striping kit is part number 114-8545. There are several special mounting brackets and retaining clips that come with the kit making assembly relatively simple. The wiper is made out of a multilayered piece of rubber that has some reinforcement and anti-abrasion properties. The height of the wiper can be adjusted to match your height of cut.

Smooth front tires are almost always found on professional landscape contractor zero turn mowers. The smoothness of the tires reduces friction against the ground when making quick turns. Because the tires can pivot on the turf easier, turf tear is reduced.

Thanks - The Toro Company
Old 06-02-2009, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Re: Z4200

Thanks for the quick response on all the items. Just based on my initial experience (4 times now), the hour meter is definitely worth the money. The smooth front tires may be an option when the factory ones expire, but I have not had any issues to date.

One thing that I did not see in your reply, was an answer on wider tire options for the rear. The mower tends to spin/slide when going down hill. Seems like the tires, while having a turf rating, are a bit narrow for the weight this mower carries. Are there options for wider tires on this jewel?

Finally, hats off to Toro. This is a great mower and I bought this one over the Troy-Bilt, Cub Cadet and John Deere mowers that are in the price range of the Toro Z4200. Great mower!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Post some PICS
Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Sponsor

Z4200 Questions

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response on all the items. Just based on my initial experience (4 times now), the hour meter is definitely worth the money. The smooth front tires may be an option when the factory ones expire, but I have not had any issues to date.

One thing that I did not see in your reply, was an answer on wider tire options for the rear. The mower tends to spin/slide when going down hill. Seems like the tires, while having a turf rating, are a bit narrow for the weight this mower carries. Are there options for wider tires on this jewel?

Finally, hats off to Toro. This is a great mower and I bought this one over the Troy-Bilt, Cub Cadet and John Deere mowers that are in the price range of the Toro Z4200. Great mower!
PBT1234 - First off, glad to hear you are enjoying our TimeCutter. Second, sorry for missing your question about the wider rear tires. We do have a wider tire available that is used on our TimeCutter zero turn mowers with 50" decks. The narrower tire is used on the TimeCutter mowers with 42" decks to maximize the trimming ability of the deck.

However, wider tires would most likely not increase traction. In regards to TimeCutter zero turn mowers, narrower tires can actually increase traction on a sloped surface. There is less surface area contacting the ground which increases the pressure the tire applies to the ground. However, this can also increase turf tear. We extensively test the tires we use to best match the machine in order to maximize traction and minimize turf tear. The TimeCutter zero turn mowers are designed to operate on slopes no greater than 15 degrees per the owner's manual.

I hope this helps.

The Toro Company
Old 06-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Sponsor

Z4200 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerKing10 View Post
Post some PICS
LawnMowerKing10- Please see the attached file - this is the original post in this thread with pictures of the accessories.

The Toro Company
Attached Files
File Type: doc Just got my Z4200 home yesterday.doc (68.0 KB, 279 views)
Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I also like my 4200, good cut, gets lots of use, and can go when you need it to...

I did NOT know they (toro) made a striping kit for it....I'll have to check this out

Steve
Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Troy-Bilt, Cub Cadet and John Deere mowers that are in the price range of the Toro Z4200. Great mower!
Troy-Bilt, Cub Cadet = same mower, different color paint, so way to go on avoiding that.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

You may want to go aftermarket for a stripe roller, or just forgo the stripe kit altogether. I bought the same design for my Titan Z 6000 and had nothing but problems with it. Besides missing the bolts that attached it to the deck (not in the box), the kit is sitting in my garage slightly mangled. I ended up tearing grade 2 bolts right out of the holes, grade 8 worked the best. Make sure you check the bolt tightness every time you go out to mow - they vibrate loose and you'll end up ripping the bracket right off and tearing it off the deck (if you're lucky) or just bending it like I did (one side was still attached!). Lock washers may help as well, but I just gave up on it. It would be nice if Toro would make a roller kit in addition to the wiper kit, that would give us some options to choose from!
8x24 Haulmark Enclosed
Ferris 2000Z 61" - Ferris DD 52" WB
Shindaiwa/Echo and Husqvarna blowers/hand tools
Old 08-19-2009, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

thx for the info on the striper kit!!! nothing is better than first hand experience...

I got the checkmate lawn striper (big league lawns?) and it works really well, but it does extend the footprint of the machine...

Steve