Register free!

Old 05-23-2009, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
I have had more than a pleasing experience with the diogen line but that has been string lights.

just the other day I got my new DG spot. I am very impressed by the color and output. I am also impressed by the quality of the palm65 and the xt that I have. If I am not mistaken both of these are based on the lamina atlas engine. I will be soon lighting the XT and leaving it lit 24 hours a day.

Other ones I have tried and would stay away from would be the Colorstars and the other little known led junk out there. Like Tom I am still not 100% sold on the reliability of the product. I dont care if the manu stands behind it. If I need to go back and replace it then its soon my reputation for building a reliable system that gets burned out.

I apologize for the typo. I meant to say I have had LESS than a pleasing experience with diogen and a 20% failure rate over 9 mo
Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

James,

The conversation is about commercial quality LED fixtures in "Hot-Lanta" Georgia. I really don't think your good experiences with MR16 substitutions directly apply in this application.

Tom
Old 05-28-2009, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The conversation headed strong on LED failure rates for professional architectural and landscape lighting installation: "across the nation."

I value this direction by Doug, James, Billy, etc., and wish we could canvass everyone for their own success/falure rates of specific LED manu's and products.

Last edited by Mike M; 05-28-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike how are the DG lights holding up ? I would think that pheonix or palm 65 in billet brass would hold up in commercial
Old 05-28-2009, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great. I recommend the fixture in antique brass or copper, but not the unfinished brass.

Does Sherman have a catalog yet? I need a stainless steel LED if he can do that, but I need it asap.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stainless Steel thermal capacities

Hi Mike,

After a quick look at the DG web site it appears they don't have a Stainless Steel option. If true, I'll make a bet that the reason DG Lights doesn't list a Stainless option is its' very poor thermal characteristics. It is a fact that SS just doesn't wick heat away as efficiently as aluminum. Result? A stainless luminaire gets very hot compared to other materials. If you check manufacturers who offer a choice of machined stainless, brass and aluminum bullets, you'll notice that the stainless (and usually the brass too) luminaires are de-rated. If the aluminum is rated for 50 watts max, the brass and certainly the stainless steel will be rated for a max of 35 watts.

Because poor heat tolerance is one of the major issues for LEDs, I'd strongly suggest you consider aluminum.

I do like the deep cooling fins on the DG product. Does anyone have enough experience with them to suggest a track-record?

Tom
Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tom;

Aluminum is one of the best materials for shedding heat. But it also is oxidizes badly, unless if it's a decent grade alloy.

Stainless steel as a finish over brass would be good for me, here at the beach. I'm looking at similar looks, such as brushed nickel, chrome, etc. that would match stainless steel outdoor ovens.

I should ask James about stainless steel experience combined with the retro bulbs.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Coastal installations

Some folks I know who have worked in the Caribbean have custom finished aluminum with auto finishes with good results. I'd suggest you talk to someone who does custom auto finishes near the coast for more info.

When talking with my good friend James, remember that he's basing his opinions entirely upon his personal experience. I'm sure you can find a record of our conversations in this forum. The lovely pine forests of Southern Ontario are very unlike the piney woods of Georgia. I believe I speak with some authority as one born and educated in Georgia who has lived in Vermont and upstate NY for 20 years.

If you know someone who has laid a true stainless finish over brass, I want to know who they are. Usually it's some sort of zinc finish and you'll have to decide if that'll work for you.

One way you can moderate the heat build-up, in a retrofit situation, is to use volume to reduce the heat. Select a fixture that is physically larger and it will offer increased surface area to speed up the heat exchange. You may want to look at a fixture like Vision 3's FL4. It's rated for 75 watts and is available in brass with stainless components. They will also finish it with a quality silver powder-coat if you need a "bright" metal look.

I'm fairly sure a powder-coat finish will reduce the ability to exchange heat to some extent. It has to do with micropores in the metal that increase surface area and help with wicking heat.

I don't know if larger fixture will increase the life of any MR16 retrofit LED, I'm only making an educated guess. Perhaps there's someone else on-line here who has personal experience in a climate similar to yours.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 05-28-2009, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

here is a brass fixture with a nickle/SS PVD finish coating!

And our Titanium Knight stainless copy powdercoat

Old 05-28-2009, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Tom;

Aluminum is one of the best materials for shedding heat. But it also is oxidizes badly, unless if it's a decent grade alloy.

DG uses the same "aircraft grade" alloy as FX.

I have never seen corrosion or finish issues on an FX product. It's the only aluminum alloy product I install anymore (and in the near future, DG)

I've had some problems with Vista aluminum fixtures (always covered under warranty of course, but who needs that hassle) and more serious corrosion problems with both Hadco and Nightscaping aluminum.