Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2009, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark vs. JD, need response quick!!

Im looking to buy either an Exmark Next Lazer Z, 25 or 27hp Kohler with 52 or 60" deck, or a John Deere estate series Z520A 52 or 60 inch deck. Which is better, and which do u have experience with? Also, anyone with prices on the exmarks, speak up!!

Thanks!!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All the Exmarks are way overpriced. They had a huge price increase at the beginning of the year and the dealer here (big one at that) has only sold THREE all year.

I'm not telling you to buy a JD.... especially an "estate mower" unless it's for home use only. IF that's the case the JD will serve you well. As a commercial mower it won't last.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The Exmark's have had a nice price increase (which I look for them to shave back shortly when folks are not buying them). However, the deere you are looking at(or any new deere at this point) I would flat pass on it for an exmark anyday, price increase or no price increase. Also the newer deere commercial ztracs have had their share of problems. I have owned two deere's that were good mowers and they were both 717's which they no longer make now.
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmarks are costly but better machines. There are a difference in the machines.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

i just bought an exmark, my soon to be father in law has a JD 757, he loves it but he only mows his own property. i can see little things that make the exmark superior in my book. i think it is built tougher and for commercial use the exmark will last longer. I just think JD is over priced, they have their hands in a wide range of equipment and it is hard to focus on superior quality in one line when the company is that big. just my .02.
we bought an 08 model exmark, under 7k brand new, 23hp kohler 52" deck. he bought his in 08 as an 07 model with a 25 hp kawi and 60" cut, his was over 7k 2 over a year ago slightly used.

Last edited by jkretzer; 05-21-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would try to find a previous-generation Lazer-Z first, and don't be afraid to buy one used, you'll save a lot of money, and you'll never notice the differance unless you run it 50 hours a week. Frankley Deere has the name, but it seems they are loosing that somewhat as other manufacturers are producing better equipment for less.

Try the "less popluar" brands as well. Nearly any of them would more than take care of your needs.
200? Husquvarnia straight shaft trim
Old 05-21-2009, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the input, it will be used for my 4 acre lawn and a few small jobs as well, how about scag? how do they compare to exmark??
Old 05-21-2009, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Everride?

How about an Everride? I bought a brand new, 2 year old Everride Hornet 23HP 52" last year for $4400 shipped on eBay with folding ROPS. Came in the factory crate. It's been a great machine for me. A true commercial mower.

Some of the things I like about this unit over more popular brands..

Standard suspension seat
7 gauge tunnel deck
Quick height adjust of the deck (designed by Honda)
Aluminum oil tank, doubles as a heat sink to increase cooling ability
Control lever integrated parking break (disc)

You won't see to many fans on this site. Most on hear favor Exmark/Toro/Hustler (in that order).

The same people that bash the less popular brands like Everride also criticized unitized pumps/motors of the John Deeres. Now their precious Exmark/Toro use them.... Amazing.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakerugg View Post
thanks for the input, it will be used for my 4 acre lawn and a few small jobs as well, how about scag? how do they compare to exmark??
Scagg makes a heavy-duty product, quite good overall. Also worth considering are Grasshopper (better deal used, pretty expensive new) and even the machine I'm mowing with - Yazoo-Keys. I just don't hear much about them, but you can look at their websites and get more information. I would make the final desicison based more on the dealer and thier support thant the fine details of the machine itself. Good luck!
200? Husquvarnia straight shaft trim
Old 05-21-2009, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedm2 View Post
How about an Everride? I bought a brand new, 2 year old Everride Hornet 23HP 52" last year for $4400 shipped on eBay with folding ROPS. Came in the factory crate. It's been a great machine for me. A true commercial mower.

Some of the things I like about this unit over more popular brands..

Standard suspension seat
7 gauge tunnel deck
Quick height adjust of the deck (designed by Honda)
Aluminum oil tank, doubles as a heat sink to increase cooling ability
Control lever integrated parking break (disc)

You won't see to many fans on this site. Most on hear favor Exmark/Toro/Hustler (in that order).

The same people that bash the less popular brands like Everride also criticized unitized pumps/motors of the John Deeres. Now their precious Exmark/Toro use them.... Amazing.
i am a fan of the everride! buy one ebay has great deals this guy aint kidding when he says 4-5k shipped to you and they are a really well built machine meant for cuting lots of grass!

Tags
exmark , john deere , new mower , zero turn , ztr