Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

that GPS tracker seems like a good idea. how much is it for one?
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 05-25-2009, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Seasons Landscaping View Post
At least it would (hopefully) attract the attention of the cops if someone was towing a trailer by the chains and there was a lock on the coupler.
only donuts can do that.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

A few tips...

As a prior repossessor (don't hold it against me) I can suggest a few things that may "deter" some forms of theft. As far as trailer locks I can defeat about any padlock currently made if I have access to the shackle - and I don't have to cut it. So the trick is to have a u-bolt or chain link welded to the trailer and then a cover, such as a piece of 3-4" pipe welded over this so that the lock and CABLE or BORON TREATED CHAIN are locked within this "umbrella" and bolt cutters can't reach the shackles. Cable is much harder to silently cut than chain and will clog up most cheap bolt cutters. However, real pro-grade cable cutters will do the job. Using a large cable and a boron treated padlock in conjunction with the pipe umbrella as well as a coupler lock will increase the difficulty level and the thief may just move on. If the cable isn't available use boron treated chain. It is much harder and the imported bolt cutters will generally break or chip before cutting it. Sure there are noisy grinders and cordless saws that will cut this stuff but it takes a very bold or very stupid thief to take the time necessary to use them. When possible, and when you have a designated parking place, you can set a large u-bolt with a piece of chain welded to it in cement in the ground and park the trailer axle over it and chain lock the axle to this. The awkward position makes it hard to get the leverage needed to use bolt cutters. I also had another coupler and u-bolts welded to a piece of square tubing. When I encountered a unit that had a coupler lock I simply placed my unit under it and ran the nuts on the adapter brackets up with a drill-driver and pulled it away. I had two of these - one for straights and one for A-frames. Also on any padlocks or tool box locks file or grind off the number - this key code can be easily referenced for a replacement key. Just make sure you record the number for your own use.

Likewise, I also have a set of keys that will fit just about any make of backhoe, tractor, skid loader, aerial lift, etc., as well as the knowledge to bypass some keypads. This type of equipment only has a few different keycodes since keys are lost all of the time and there are multiple employees or contractors using the same equipment with their own key. I suggest hidden power cut-off switches that will slow down thieves and make them move on to something easier. These key sets and many more types can be easily purchased on eBay. Sorry for the long post - I hope it helps someone.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Metro, what do you think of that Abus lock I posted above?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats for all the valuable info Metro.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

It appears that the chain is the weakest link and not knowing the diameter or hardness of the chain makes it a little harder to judge. If it is grade 70 or better it would take a little effort to cut manually but a cordless bolt & rebar cutter would do the job - and this could easily be hidden under a jacket. Likewise there are small CO2 tanks with cutters that would cut it quickly. I've never owned a set but I have seen them and it seems that the jaws had around 3000 psi of cutting power. It you are a true believer try cutting it with bolt cutters and let the rest of us know...just joking!
Old 06-13-2009, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyatesies View Post
I am a school teacher and I left for school at 7:10 and my wife left at 7:20 and the neighbors say it was there at 7:45 but not there at 8:10am. It was changed thru the wheels and locked with a bolt cutter proof lock. They cut the chain and away they went. No equipment was on thank god. We live in a good safe neiborhood. If it can happen here then it can happen anywhere.
Any suggestions are securing the new trailer I now have to buy?
http://www.tirelock.com/
Old 06-13-2009, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

its made by dewalt about 350

should be on tere web site
Old 06-14-2009, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Have a really really big dog that don't like people in the back yard when owner is not home . It works well for me, and can thank him for 2 arrest. 2 guys run up a tree, and begging for me to get dog when i got home. Being the nice guy i am.. I got some nice police officers to help them down.

P.S; The guy that lives down the road from me.. Hooks a electric fence box to his trailer. It will right out knock your boots off. I'm not saying do that though.. I know i would forget every morning, and shock myself..
Old 06-14-2009, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Knock on wood, I haven't had anything stolen, where I park my trucks and trailers is my parent's farm, but when I move it to my farm, I will have a spot, with a concrete anchor post, sunk in the ground , and a hinged piece of steel, to latch the axle, and a short shackle hardened lock, mounted in such a way as to deter the ryobi grinder ( I have one, too, nice tool). I also already have deer cameras taking pictures of anybody on the property, already, these are easy to camouflage, and mount on trees or buildings, some of these are available with a time/date stamp, excellent evidence in court. A bad reputation as a quick, accurate rifle shot, also helps, I haven't had to shoot at anybody, going on at least seven years, now, since the last incident!

Last edited by DiyDave; 06-14-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: word omitted