Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2009, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Driveway sealcoat quotes

Can you guys give me some tips or questions to ask to make sure I get a quality job done?

General description:
It's about 2500sf.
Never been sealed, about 8 yrs old.
No major cracks
2 very shallow cracks starting

How do you guys handle the gap between the driveway and the concrete garage?

Talked to 1 local guy for a quote, didn't get it yet, but he uses Tarconite? Any good?

Anyone on the board in W. Mass. want to give me a quote, PM me.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2009, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Cool

Tarconite is a good quality product and has been around for decades. When I used that type sealer I probably applied around a million gallons over the years.

The contractor should use at least 3 lbs. sand per gallon (the mfg. recommends 5) and if he adds Armorflex (an additive of theirs) at somewhere between 3% and 5% it will be much better (5 lbs. sand and 5% Armorflex makes a great sealer mix that will last many years if properly applied) .
Have him seal the cracks first (the company who makes Tarconite makes some good crack sealers also) then apply 2 coats of sealer as above. I have no idea of the price because I haven't priced any in years but somewhere around 20-30 cents per foot should get a job that will last over 5 years. (I am guessing based on how much sealer prices have gone up-I know it's been a LOT in the last few years)

At 8 years you have waited too long to get the maximum benefit from sealcoating so it's important to get the best job possible now so your pavement will get as much protection as possible. Even though there's just "2 small" cracks it's VERY important that they be properly sealed and then a very good quality sealer applied to the entire pavement.

If you have questions Tarconite is made by Neyra Industries, they have detailed application specifications on-line (at least they used to) which will match what I described above.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I've actually rec'd quotes so far from 2 of the 3 people I called.

Pretty different quotes.
1st: Business card info on back: no crack sealing, spray sealcoating with sand for $225, along with a Tarconite brochure.

2nd: Tarconite brochure and detailed checklist with edging, thermosealing cracks, oil spot priming (forgot those in my previous post), tarconite seal with armorflex, 1 coat, maybe other things that I can't remember right now: $340.

I'm going to call about the 2nd coat and ask about the sand, armorflex and water ratios. I did see on the neyra site about unsealed driveways using 2 coats.
I also have to ask about the area between the driveway and concrete garage. I need to seal that crack and want to know if that's included.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2009, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what they get a foot up there. But you should be paying at least 10 cent a sq ft. You have to be careful there are a lot of con men out there. A lot of guys will water down there sealer. Talk to people that have had it done a couple of years ago is your best bet.