Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-14-2009, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spraying Blackmac on a recently paved lot?

Lowdown... A un named paver finished paving a 15 thousand square foot lot on Sunday, from what I gather he did not do that good of a job and wants it sealed so he can get paid. I am off to take a look now so I will see the condition of the pavement.

I know you can't sealcoat until 90 days but what about spraying blackmac?

Maybe a paver would be able to answer this better, are there any issues with spraying blackmac so early? The paver is willing to take the risk, he just wants it sealed and is taking 100% responsibilty.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody? Would you touch this?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Im not sure, besides potholes and cracks fix ups, I have always waited till the next season to seal new pavement.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe it's recommended to wait 12 months..... aside from that, I wouldn't work with the guy for the simple reason that I wouldn't want to be associated with a guy that covered up a job that he knew was poor quality....
Old 05-15-2009, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loooogie View Post
Lowdown... A un named paver finished paving a 15 thousand square foot lot on Sunday, from what I gather he did not do that good of a job and wants it sealed so he can get paid. I am off to take a look now so I will see the condition of the pavement.

I know you can't sealcoat until 90 days but what about spraying blackmac?

Maybe a paver would be able to answer this better, are there any issues with spraying blackmac so early? The paver is willing to take the risk, he just wants it sealed and is taking 100% responsibilty.
i would not touch it myself, ppl will see you in their working, and the business owner who dont like the job he did anyway will see you also.... he will let every one he knows how his lot turned out....i know its money for you but i would stay away... its the pavers problem..
Old 05-16-2009, 02:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Sealing new asphalt is not recommended for generally at least a year. One reason being the pavement releases light oils for a while after it is laid. One way to tell if this condition has passed is if water doesn’t bead on it after a rain.

I can’t imagine why the paver wants you to seal it other than he has some sort of problem that he is trying to fix. Perhaps the mix wasn’t properly compacted and is rough looking. If he thinks sealing it is going to fix it he’s wrong.

I would steer clear of this situation. For you to seal it gives seal coaters a bad rap and gets you a poor reputation as well.

Also you can be assured that any future problems with the driveway will be your problem as well.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at the lot and I do not understand why he wants it sealed? All I could get out of them was they needed it sealed so they could get paid.

Maybe I am reading too much into it but I get the feeling something else is going on, this guy was in a big rush to get this thing sealed.

Blackmac isdifferent than sealcoat you guys use in the States, so I a still unsure if you do need to wait the year or not.

Eitherway I passed on the job, I don't need any headaches, I had a bad feeling about this and I don't go out to cause dammage to property.

Thanks for the advise, I drove by today and somebody sealcoated the lot.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Good Choice

Sometimes it's hard to walk away from a job but you've got to follow your instincts. There's more to this story than the paver is tell you.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

60-90 days for BlackMac, but I'd still walk, in case something is up with the pavement, which it sounds like, then you could be held liable. If you do seal it, then have them sign off on it, to protect you.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They way I look at it, there are alot of fish in the sea so I don't mind passing on this lot. I don't need headaches, just like doing the best job I can and making money.