Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2009, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

formal study

What kind of advanced design theory and practical training is out there for us?

I am interested in any quality, comprehensive courses or workshops in lighting design to advance my skills and open up new opportunities. l am especially interested in learning interior lighting design and installation, including new techniques with LED's, etc.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-25-2009, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mike. If you get yourself lined up with either the IESNA and start to recieve LD&A (monthly periodical) or get on the mailing list of Contract Lighting Magazine, you will get monthly news on what courses are offered and where. Many of the larger manufacturers like Cooper, GE, etc offer regular training seminars. Then there are the programs offered at Lightfair and other trade events.

A number of Universities offer advanced degrees in lighting design & technology but I dont think that is what you are after is it?

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 05-25-2009, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, James.

That's a good idea about the associations and magazines. And I am not ruling out college courses (imagine if I can do some distance learning with homework assignments in the field?) Also, I have to save for next year's Lightfare, with all that industry info in one place.

Relocating will be a chance for me to step back and redefine my business plan.

So, which colleges have the best reputable, advanced lighting design classes?

Old 05-25-2009, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ryerson Poly U. in Toronto has one - no distance learning.

Rennsalear Poly U. in Troy NY. is pretty famous - no distance learning.

I know that other Universities offer programs, as I have seen them on various people's credentials. I have a theory about Univ. trained lighting designers though.... Ask me in private someday.

You might also want to consider achieving your LC (Lighitng Certified) designation. The NCQLP administers this, and it is often associated with members of the IALD which can muddy the waters a bit, but I am certain they are working together. http://www.iald.org/design/professional.asp

The AOLP offers a design certification. I won't bad mouth them (much) in public... but if you want to know more just email me.

www.integralighting.com

Old 05-25-2009, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=INTEGRA Works Lighting;3007326]
Rennsalear Poly U. in Troy NY. is pretty famous - no distance learning.

I heard of this, I think Janet Moyer is associated with it?

I guess I really need to sign up for some periodicals, go to lightfare, and simply find a good "interior lighting" class somewhere. A few really good seminars might do it, but I want something a little more comprehensive than a quick Saturday class by a manu. Or, maybe that will be just fine. I went to a Vista seminar once in Myrtle Beach and got really high on free Skittles.

If there was an indoor design/installation guide to lighting written like the one Nate Mullen did for outdoor lighting, that would be awesome start for me I would be on my way with my own bare hands to learn by doing.

Any well-written practical guides for the basics of indoor lighting installation?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

IESNA looks pretty comprehensive. They have something in there on a lighting curriculum k-12. I'll want to see that. I will probably join the association some time soon and spend a winter reading some of those books, too.

Okay here's a weird thing I noticed today. This is not the place for it, but I need to mention it. I have been writing "I" as "i" a real lot, all of a sudden. This scares me. I never did this before, and now I think I am getting sucked into some kind of e-grammar disability. I have edited most of them, but if I start eliminating all capitals at some point, I will have to quit face book for a while.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am sure there are some books that would help you out Mike, but to be honest I dont know what they are. I am 'self taught' in this area, the school of life offers some excellent programming for those who are apt. Then there is the program offered at Trial & Makeno Error U!

As for the IESNA, I highly recommend membership there. (Read the qualifications very carefully... you have to meet them or no membership comes your way) Same is true for the IALD, which I wil be applying to in the near future.

www.integralighting.com

Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mike, I think there is only so much you are going to be able to learn from books and classes. I think these things are very good to get a solid base under you but ultimately you will need to carve out your own personal style. A lot of it is just doing a lot of personal research on what products are available to us out there and what they were designed for. It is one thing to know what you would like to light, it is another to know which products are available for those applications. Indoor lighting design, just like outdoor, will have some main priciples to follow for some basic functions. However, as you and I know, if you put James, myself, you and 7 others in one house and told us to come up with a design you will see 10 different designs put together that will reflect the subtle differences in personal style and past experiences all of us have encountered and what we have personally seen or imagined. I think any type of design occupation, whether it be interior design, landscape design, architectural design or lighting design is akin to Art. In art class they teach the student how to blend colors, what brushes to use to achieve certain effects, what types of canvases to paint on , oils or watercolors, etc.... they give you the tools and canvas, it is up to you to fill it in and make it art!

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 05-26-2009, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

www.TheLITEProgram.com
Old 05-27-2009, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, guys.

I guess the interior thing is intimidating, more on the installation side than the design side. I have limited model designs to look at. You can drive around and see good and bad and awesome lighting outdoors, but inside high-profile homes examining lv lighting isn't how I hang out on the weekends. I'm like Billy Murray in Caddyshack, being offered to swim in the pond.

A book on interior lighting, like Janet Moyer's landscape lighting book, or better yet, an interior design and installation guide by Nate Mullen would certainly start sending lighting guys to the inside.

I've had clients ask me if I can do interior work. I don't know the first thing. Do we lift the carpet and saw little trenches in the floor?