Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2009, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH401 View Post
My thoughts exactly

Really?, and a truck that looks like someone just stuck 4 wheels on a box and called it a day is better? At least Dodge has curves and overall depth to there design, the Ford design is about as interesting as watching snow melt.
I couldn't care what it looks like, performance and utility is more important. I hate the incessant chrome over everything on trucks. Simple interiors are FINE.

Drug war veteran

From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli
Old 06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTR_Diesel View Post
Nice little truck, hold thier value pretty well. Terrible fuel mileage.

What year? If 1995 - 2000 check it closely for frame rust. Same thing with 2001 - 2004 (until current model) but the earlier units have a recall on them. If a V6-4wd it's not going to get much over 18 mpg.
Probably 08+.

Drug war veteran

Old 06-08-2009, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you guys want an Allison auto? It is common knowledge that the 48RE is the the best tranny offered in a diesel pickup when built properly. My truck would chew a stock Allison to pieces in a couple days. The Fords I test drove were junk and drove poorly. Then I got into the Dodge I had now and the interior, exterior, and power was much better.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
Why would you guys want an Allison auto? It is common knowledge that the 48RE is the the best tranny offered in a diesel pickup when built properly. My truck would chew a stock Allison to pieces in a couple days. The Fords I test drove were junk and drove poorly. Then I got into the Dodge I had now and the interior, exterior, and power was much better.
Dodge does not come to my mind when "list of most trusted automatic transmissions" are created.

torqshift over the 48re...

I've always wanted 5 speeds in dodge trucks.

Drug war veteran

Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyube View Post
Dodge does not come to my mind when "list of most trusted automatic transmissions" are created.

I said when they are "built" properly. I am talking aftermarket TC's, VB's, billet shafts and flexplate. Guys with Fords and Chevy's who sled pull actually put 48RE's in their trucks cause they can be built to handle anything. Like I said earlier, I am doing 0 - 60 in 4.7 seconds. You might as well invest in your trans and make it last a lifetime rather than replacing it every 100,000 or less.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I couldn't care what it looks like, performance and utility is more important. I hate the incessant chrome over everything on trucks. Simple interiors are FINE.
My thoughts exactly, a stripped truck w/ the best available engine would be my truck of choice.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

I agree with JDipstera

The Cummins ISB tends to eat stock torque converters switch to a billet single or triple disc billet converter, also the 47RE & 48RE have low line pressure, and soft shifts in stock form. A new valve body or T-FOD shift kit, along with new servo's & billet accumulators with triple seals will boost line pressure, that will just about make the 47RE & 48RE bulletproof.

The Dodge A518/618 47RE & 48RE are rock soild transmissions that do very well behind the Cummins. The Allison & Ford 4R100 & later models are also great transmissions each have their own weakness's knowledge is key in correcting the weak links, and no automatic diesel tranny is designed for more than 100hp/100ft/lbs over stock. I have tore up my share of automatics, be it gas or diesel, over the years, be it Ford, Dodge or GM. Once you get the cheap weak arse, OEM internals out, and replace with billet parts, new servo's & acumulators High performance frictions & Kolene steel's, new Triple disk billet Torque converters all will hold up well under a diesel's torque. I prefer the Dodge Cummins & the 47RE or 48RE, thier much easier to rebuild, and cost far less when it is time to rebuild vs a Allison. Building a good transmission is an art & science, with many tricks for each brand tranny. Dodge diesels will eat Ford & GM diesels all day with a good 47RE or 48RE

The more expensive the transmission in stock form the higher the cost to rebuild heavy duty. You can take the Allison & stick it were the sun don't shine. Do some research on the Suncoast "torqueflite" it's a 48RE for the Duramax diesel

Last edited by nosparkplugs; 06-08-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

The Allison that is in the GM doesn't live up to the Allison name.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is a truck some of you may get a woody over

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1206959159.html
Old 06-09-2009, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Id like to post on what gravel rat said about the 6.7 being a nightmare of a motor which is not true my friend has two of them a 5500 an a 3500. There both doing great they were both at the dealer once for a flash an thats it, the 5500 has about 15,000miles an the 3500 has almost 12,000miles he just did a DPF delete on the 3500 an it made the truck even better now that its not choked up, I also know a few other people that have 6.7 cummins an love them. they must be pretty good sence precision pipeline just got rid of there fords an got 6.7cummins. Also i dont know about you guys but id rather have a 6speed stick behind my cummins, But ya that 6.7 is junk. roll eyes