Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Leveling a bumpy lawn

Anyone here ever tried to roll a bumpy lawn with an asphalt roller. I have a client that wants their bermuda lawn that was installed last summer to be rolled. The sod came in the big rolls (36 inch I think) and was not very good... cut uneven, lots of missing places that had to be pieced in. I was thinking about wetting it good with the irrigation then trying to roll out the bumps with a 1 ton roller. Any thoughts?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I dont think that would be a good idea, sounds as if the final grade was not done right before the sod install. I think the only thing to do now is either rip it up and fix it, or top dress it and over time it should level. If you do what the homeowner wants, then make sure to aerate it when done.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I suppose that it is going to depend on your type of base soil .If I remember right, Commerce has a lot of red clay! On the gulf coast,we have the dark clay that we call "gumbo clay'. I have done a few jobs with a sod roller.The type that you fill with water and pull behind a lawn tractor or 4 wheeler.It has worked well for us. This would be a quicker,cheaper fix,and I think you would be less likely to tear anything up,rut anything, etc. than with an asphalt roller. Sounds like you may do more harm than good.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I did that last year on two yards. Soak it, go slow and roll it in two directions. And they don't go up steep hills or across a hill very well.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Also, if you use a 1 ton roller, don't use the vibrator. Leave it off, I've heard horror stories of people using the vibrator on a lawn and breaking water pipes.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With the red clay we have here I think the issue would be compaction. Aerate it, and topdressand hit it with 46-0-0. If you pack that clay anymore and we get hit with no rain this summer, you will lose it.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And then you aerated the heck out of it, right. If not, how did you deal with the massive compaction you would create using an asphalt roller?
You probably have pretty good organic soil in Ohio so I don't know how it would work in Georgia clay.
On the new properties around here, the developers usually scrape off the top foot of soil and sell it, then put clay down with maybe 3" of the good topsoil on top just to give the rye, fescue, bluegrass mix enough soil to grow in. Really hard to get a good grading on that.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRRITECH View Post
With the red clay we have here I think the issue would be compaction. Aerate it, and topdressand hit it with 46-0-0. If you pack that clay anymore and we get hit with no rain this summer, you will lose it.
I agree the root depth of the lawn is probaly poor to begin with if it is all clay, it might take alot longer than rolling it but aerate top dress and overseed and it will level out and thicken it up in the process.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.L.M. View Post
I agree the root depth of the lawn is probaly poor to begin with if it is all clay, it might take alot longer than rolling it but aerate top dress and overseed and it will level out and thicken it up in the process.
Can't overseed Bermuda. Almost everything, and all the sod jobs are 419. If you overseed with common you're screwed.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

rip up the top 2 inches of sod bed with a tiller and pulverize it. drag it flat with a drag or box blade. try to aerate deeper than you tilled after the dragging and leveling is done then roll it flat. and hope for some good luck when youre done.