Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2002, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got fired today!

Here's the senario: Have been doing this lady for 3 months. Last week she calls me and says " I do not like the schedule you've got me on- you're coming only once a month". I agreed with her since rhat is what she requested I do. Then I said "April starts my twice a month visits- I'm due to your place next week (today)".

So today comes and at the end of the cut she comes out of the house and says "I'm terminating the contract right now... I cannot tell that you even cut the grass!!!" I assured her I did but her mind was made up.

Here are some mitigating factors that may help some of you in giving me some advice which I really do want.

1. She had rye grass put in a month before I got the contract. Fired that LCO as well. She called me because I put a flyer in her mail box. She has HUGE water oak trees and the leaves fall in bucket fulls. The St. Aug. is mostly dormant.

2. I do not bag- I mulch. When I'm through, her yard at this time of the year really does not look all that good after a cut. She said "All I see is your tire tracks!"

My gut tells me she likes fireing people- (she's from Miami). My gut also tells me she will fire the next LCO as well.

Any thoughts? Advice? Am I missing the obvious?

Cordially,
Sheppard

F-150
Wright Stander 52"
Tanaka 340 trimmer
Snapper 36" wb
Robin nb253 trimmer
Husq edger
Husq 155 blower
Old 04-03-2002, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

walk and don't look back...it ain't worth it for 1 or even 2 cuts per month.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yep walk away, get paid, and load the supersoaker up w/, well you know, just kiddin
Old 04-03-2002, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's supersoaker?

Some kind of revenge action? Not that I'm opposed to it...

Cordially,
Sheppard

F-150
Wright Stander 52"
Tanaka 340 trimmer
Snapper 36" wb
Robin nb253 trimmer
Husq edger
Husq 155 blower
Old 04-03-2002, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some customers are constant "lookers". They think if they stick with one lco too long they'll miss out on something that someone else has to offer. Usually you can spot these types early because when they call you the first time they tell you about the other 800 guys they have had in the past! It doesn't matter how good you do - they are bound to move on and add you to the list of has-beens. I wouldn't sweat it, you will probably see 2-3 more guys out there this season.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of the first questions I ask to prequalify a sketchy caller is "have you worked with a landscaper before?" When they say yes, I ask why are you changing companies? If I get suspicious, I'll start asking how long did you have the company, how about the one before, and before that and before that and on and on. I'll ask them again why they're changing service. Usually by then I'm dont talking with them after listening to them tell me about the past five guys. It wasn't the past five guys... it was the customer. They'll never be satisfied.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's A type of person you have to deal with in this industry. Don't waste your time thinking about it, let alone posting about it...
Old 04-03-2002, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Like earlier stated, these kinds of people will never be happy. It dosen't matter how hard you try. I had a ccustomer like her for a season, and still mow three lawns around her. No matter what i did, she always said "this doesen't look right, that's not how i like it ", etc.,etc.. Now all i do is take a few extra minutes on the other three to make them look better than hers, and it works! She has tried to get me back several times and i just tell her my schedule is full. I can tell it burns her up! That's all the revenge i need.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just ride by her house one night and throw a 5 pound bag of salt in her yard. ha, see how she likes that! just kidding..... I would not let that worry me one bit, had a lady that went through LCO's like a pair of underwear and i lost that account about 3 months into it. I would not let it bother me at all!
Old 04-03-2002, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

DID YOU A FAVOR

It appears she did you a favor. I have had customers just like her-- always complaining about something not relating to me-- One lady told me I got paint on her garage floor and I had never been in her garage-- SHe failed to think maybe the painting crew that was painting her home 2 days before may have did it . She also told me in another incident that I forgot to remove two small trees and that I better get it done--and I had already cut them down the previous week. I was also fired because I did not go to church- (very very small community)- the lady asked me if I went to church every sunday- I replied no-- because at the time I also worked for the government split shifts-- she told me to pack my stuff up-- that was about the strangest thing but I can say with experince people love to play games, play boss, and fire someone. Particularly if I hear thestory that the previous people took this or that, or never showed up story I am pretty wary and that I am in for a game player. I might add the ones that never pay are also the quickest ones to have some story about previous workers or the most complaints. Unfortunately we must weed out the bad clients through bad experience to us. I just give them my best, and if they want to play games I accepet it and consider myself fortunate not to have to work for them anymore. Life is just too short- expecially to feel bad about pleasing someone that probably can not be pleased. Let her ruin some unprofessional-substandard working and lazy persons day-- then she will get what she deserves.