Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
When did I ever say that everyone needed to buy a VPS server?
How about here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
I do quite a bit of server administration, programming and development and for my clients who need a good web server that's cheap I would never recommend any shared host. Instead check out prgmr.com and linode.com ... Linode is around 19/month for a VPS server and Prgmr.com is about 8/month for a slightly better VPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
You are correct -your permissions of 0444 would work on an standard server but there is no point in doing that unless you want to waste yours and your clients time setting and unsetting permissions for each and every file for edits and you shouldn't be spewing that out there. S. 0640/0644 works just fine and has no security implications if you have proper system and group policies in place.
A simple PHP script will easily handle changing file permission on a batch basis. No one in their right mind would attempt to change more than a few files manually. Are you sure you are a web developer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
There is something clearly wrong with you and you need to find another channel to vent other than spreading your inferiority complex all across the internet, after all the internet's serious business you know.
Sorry man, but I have problems with people who suggest/recommend spending money on unnecessary services/products. I also have problems with people who troll for work on sites that require being a sponsor before pushing products or services. You really don't have any other reason for posting in this forum .... do you? Your own words .... "I simply offered to help people set it up if they needed it". Basically it amounts to SPAM and I HATE SPAM! Play by the rules or don't play at all!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-14-2009, 02:33 PM
mikey.hill's Avatar
mikey.hill mikey.hill is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vail, Colorado
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
How about here.






A simple PHP script will easily handle changing file permission on a batch basis. No one in their right mind would attempt to change more than a few files manually. Are you sure you are a web developer?



Sorry man, but I have problems with people who suggest/recommend spending money on unnecessary services/products. I also have problems with people who troll for work on sites that require being a sponsor before pushing products or services. You really don't have any other reason for posting in this forum .... do you? Your own words .... "I simply offered to help people set it up if they needed it". Basically it amounts to SPAM and I HATE SPAM! Play by the rules or don't play at all!
Your hilarious man... You've provided myself and several others much entertainment this morning.

1. - Do you speak english or have you just been transported to backwardsland?

2. - If you had half a brain why would even think of writing a file perms script in PHP? use a real language like python on create a shell script in a variety of languages. But there is no reason to do this in the first place. It defies all logic and reasoning whatsoever. Set your groups up correctly and set restrictive, usable perms on your files. I don't need to tell you this though because your simply trolling, cause that's what your good at.

3. - If you don't want to spend money on it and you think it's unneccesary that's your opinion and your entitled to it. You obviously have some invested interest in shared hosting or you wouldn't be making such a big stink about someone who's simply providing information to others. I've been on this forum for around a year now... not nearly as long as some, but if I was really trying to advertise for my own interests I wouldn't need to come here to do so.

4. Looking through your comments and some of your previous posts you seem like a seemingly decent and knowledgable guy. However, you going out on a limb to point fingers, spread mis-information and then question my right to be on this website just as much as the next guy only makes me curious to know why. I guess I missed the part in the tos that the internet made you king of lala land.
__________________
You have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them in that ratio.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
2. - If you had half a brain why would even think of writing a file perms script in PHP? use a real language like python on create a shell script in a variety of languages. But there is no reason to do this in the first place. It defies all logic and reasoning whatsoever. Set your groups up correctly and set restrictive, usable perms on your files. I don't need to tell you this though because your simply trolling, cause that's what your good at.
I was merely making a point that you could batch process it, pick whatever language works best for you. You were the one who was so quick to suggest how much of a burden it would be to do it. Thank you for proving yourself wrong yet again. Want to back peddle on this point too? And you accuse me of trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
3. - If you don't want to spend money on it and you think it's unneccesary that's your opinion and your entitled to it. You obviously have some invested interest in shared hosting or you wouldn't be making such a big stink about someone who's simply providing information to others. I've been on this forum for around a year now... not nearly as long as some, but if I was really trying to advertise for my own interests I wouldn't need to come here to do so.
I have no vested interested in any particular type of hosting, unlike you. I merely made the point that your typical shared hosting was more than adequate for your typical green industry site with a handful of static HTML pages. It was YOU who took issue with this ... lets get it straight mikey. To suggest someone with 5-10 static HTML pages needs to fork out 20 bucks a month for a VPS is nothing short of absurd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
4. Looking through your comments and some of your previous posts you seem like a seemingly decent and knowledgable guy. However, you going out on a limb to point fingers, spread mis-information and then question my right to be on this website just as much as the next guy only makes me curious to know why. I guess I missed the part in the tos that the internet made you king of lala land.
Funny dude .... you mean like the B.S. you have been spreading here? Clearly you are a XEN man, which is great, I love open source, yet you then make inane statements about virtualization and other stuff that clearly shows your bias and troll like tendencies. BTW, I email this thread to all my buddies who manage data centers, they found your statements rather amusing, especially the one about "real" virtualization.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-14-2009, 06:57 PM
mikey.hill's Avatar
mikey.hill mikey.hill is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vail, Colorado
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I was merely making a point that you could batch process it, pick whatever language works best for you. You were the one who was so quick to suggest how much of a burden it would be to do it. Thank you for proving yourself wrong yet again. Want to back peddle on this point too? And you accuse me of trolling.
You failed to make a point. I didn't say it was a burden, I said there is no reason to do it in the first place. Creating correct user/groups and setting a correct umask takes care of that for you. But hey, if you've got a better idea i'm sure the linux community would love to see exactly how you intend to revolutionize the oh so difficult task of setting file permissions using batch scripts.

Quote:
I have no vested interested in any particular type of hosting, unlike you. I merely made the point that your typical shared hosting was more than adequate for your typical green industry site with a handful of static HTML pages. It was YOU who took issue with this ... lets get it straight mikey. To suggest someone with 5-10 static HTML pages needs to fork out 20 bucks a month for a VPS is nothing short of absurd!
I actually manage several diff. types of servers... from dedicated, in-house, no more shared thankfully and a few vps at different providers. So saying that I'm biased toward on is totally off. I evaluate solutions on a continual basis because it's an integral part of what I do. Also, you must have failed to read where I pointed out that prgmr.com has extremely low pricing on virtual hosting:

1 mth 6 mth 1 yr. ram Disk Network transfer
$5 $27 $48 64MiB 1.5GiB 10GiB
$6 $32.4 $57.6 128MiB 3GiB 20GiB
$8 $43.2 $76.8 256MiB 6GiB 40GiB

The reason why I mentioned slicehost/linode is because they have an LPM for quick and easy management of multiple nodes/accounting/users/DNS etc... but it's nothing that can't be setup easily on prgmr's servers. So it is a higher quality service at a nearly identical rate as what people pay for shared hosting. Not to mention that w/ virtual hosting you have the option of running as many domains as you want, upgrading/downgrading specs as needed, running any application you need, backups, control panels, db's ... all configurable to the needs of your website(s). You can say whatever you want but your still being hard-headed.

Quote:
Funny dude .... you mean like the B.S. you have been spreading here? Clearly you are a XEN man, which is great, I love open source, yet you then make inane statements about virtualization and other stuff that clearly shows your bias and troll like tendencies. BTW, I email this thread to all my buddies who manage data centers, they found your statements rather amusing, especially the one about "real" virtualization.
Sure, email away. I'm bet all your buddies in data-centers worldwide are anxiously awaiting your next email. So what's next, would you like to attack my use of this smiley-> ? Did I somehow offend you or your hosting fu?
__________________
You have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them in that ratio.

Last edited by mikey.hill; 08-14-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
I didn't say it was a burden, I said there is no reason to do it in the first place. Creating correct user/groups and setting a correct umask takes care of that for you. But hey, if you've got a better idea i'm sure the linux community would love to see exactly how you intend to revolutionize the oh so difficult task of setting file permissions using batch scripts.
Keep your eye on the ball Mikey. You are the one who said it was difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
You are correct -your permissions of 0444 would work on an standard server but there is no point in doing that unless you want to waste yours and your clients time setting and unsetting permissions for each and every file for edits and you shouldn't be spewing that out there.
FYI, I already stated that a properly managed server doesn't have these problems. You are a real piece of back peddling work, but go on, keep digging that hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
I actually manage several diff. types of servers... from dedicated, in-house, no more shared thankfully and a few vps at different providers. So saying that I'm biased toward on is totally off. I evaluate solutions on a continual basis because it's an integral part of what I do. Also, you must have failed to read where I pointed out that prgmr.com has extremely low pricing on virtual hosting:

1 mth 6 mth 1 yr. ram Disk Network transfer
$5 $27 $48 64MiB 1.5GiB 10GiB
$6 $32.4 $57.6 128MiB 3GiB 20GiB
$8 $43.2 $76.8 256MiB 6GiB 40GiB

The reason why I mentioned slicehost/linode is because they have an LPM for quick and easy management of multiple nodes/accounting/users/DNS etc... but it's nothing that can't be setup easily on prgmr's servers. So it is a higher quality service at a nearly identical rate as what people pay for shared hosting. Not to mention that w/ virtual hosting you have the option of running as many domains as you want, upgrading/downgrading specs as needed, running any application you need, backups, control panels, db's ... all configurable to the needs of your website(s). You can say whatever you want but your still being hard-headed.
If you have the option for VPS at the same price as conventional shared, then by all means go for it if you really need and can use that type of setup. Your initial post may have pointed out the $8 package, but it also came with a healthy self-promoting sales pitch to buy the $20 linode package and hire you to set it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
If you guys really want good hosting sign up for your VPS at linode and contact me. I do full server installations for $100(I charge clients through the companies I work for 200 for the same install).
And you then continue to make the same $20 pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
But for a business, 20/month is nothing for quality hosting that is both secure and provides quality responsiveness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
Which would you rather pay? 20/month for shared hosting that's secure and reliable or 5/month for shared
Bottom line dude, your "recommendation" is nothing more than an attempt to sell your services and has nothing to do with what people here really need.

BTW, I checked out the prgmr site and there are no packages available due to lack of servers, and to be perfectly honest the site looks like it was built by a 12 year old. Doesn't really inspire confidence in this host now does it?

Last but certainly not least, you still have yet to provide a good reason why someone with 5-10 static HTML pages needs a VPS. Personally I love the features a VPS offers, but consider you are trying to sell a package to people who for the most part can't even code HTML, let alone use/need the features a VPS has to offer.

So are you looking to sell people something they don't really need in order to generate some income for yourself, or are you making a reasonable recommendation for the majority of the people here who only need a handful of static pages in order to have a web presence? I think it is pretty clear the former is the case. Time for you to wake up and join reality dude and stop your self-promoting spam.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-15-2009, 03:30 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,756
So, are you guys done yet ???
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-15-2009, 04:37 PM
mikey.hill's Avatar
mikey.hill mikey.hill is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vail, Colorado
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
BTW, I checked out the prgmr site and there are no packages available due to lack of servers, and to be perfectly honest the site looks like it was built by a 12 year old. Doesn't really inspire confidence in this host now does it?
prgmr doesn't waste their money on marketing to people who like flashy sign-up pages. They also don't provide any support other than hardware issues which is their responsibility. As their site states 'We don't assume you're stupid'. If you do a google search for prgmr you'll find it's one of the most highly regarded specifically for this reason. They don't waste time and money making their site look pretty but making their servers the best and least costly that you can get. And yes they are a small operation so sometimes you have to wait a week or so to get a server, but you can damn sure bet that the servers they build 1 at a time isn't built by some hack job in a server farm.

You probably don't visit reddit.com very much but it's pretty much known as the place that many of the top CS guys in the US/worldwide spend their downtime. Here's a post about prgmr which has a link to an article and also recommendations from actual high end site owners who use these services. Also includes commentary from the owner of prgmr.com
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/..._prgmr_is_a_8/
__________________
You have 2 ears and 1 mouth. Use them in that ratio.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 AM
1MajorTom's Avatar
1MajorTom 1MajorTom is online now
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
So, are you guys done yet ???
yes, they are.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-16-2009, 12:11 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom View Post
yes, they are.
Did you crack a whip there Tom ????
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 AM.

Page generated in 0.14122 seconds with 7 queries