Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2009, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Commercial LED Floods

Anyone have any recommendations for LED flood fixtures? I have hotel that wants the cornice at the top to be illuminated with blue LED's. Line voltage is the preferred power source. We can install any mount through the wall as the interior is currently totally being re-done. Looks like around 34 fixtures mounted 12 stories up.

I am getting a test fixture from Nexxus Lighting but have never used them before.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to say it but we've had nothing but issues from anything we get from Nexxus. Like 60% failure on their LEDs. Get test fixtures from other places as well is my suggestion.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

At 12 stories up, I want to install it once...
Old 05-19-2009, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd assume thus I mentioned the failures we've experienced.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshimmin View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for LED flood fixtures? I have hotel that wants the cornice at the top to be illuminated with blue LED's. Line voltage is the preferred power source. We can install any mount through the wall as the interior is currently totally being re-done. Looks like around 34 fixtures mounted 12 stories up.

I am getting a test fixture from Nexxus Lighting but have never used them before.
Talk to Shermann at DG Lights. Don't just go by the products on the website, tell him your need, and he may be able to help you out. 760.431.8982 is their office number.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We hear reports of massive and repeated LED installation failures all across the nation. Be very careful!!!!

Tom
Old 05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Tom,
Massive and repeated failures? I have not heard anything like that. Examples?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Massive and Repeated - not an overstatement

Greg,

I'd call the above report of Nexxus' product failing 60% of the time massive.

Naomi has contacts throughout the industry and has discussed significant failures experienced by other nationally known Architectural Lighting Designers with me. In a particularly bad case in the west, the drivers failed 4 times and the entire original system was scrapped only to be replaced and fail yet again. This is not the only such failure she has shared with me in the last year.

When I caution Landscape Lighting Designers to take care when specifying large LED installations, I am expressing my concern about the liabilities other small businesses persons' may be accepting when dealing with manufacturers who may, or may not, stand behind their product.

LEDs are getting better; that is a fact. But, more importantly is the reality that the market has not yet finished winnowing out the good from the bad.

If I were considering an installation on the scale jshimmin is, I would only talk to the people who can and will supply the names and contact information of endusers who has used the product in a similar project that has successfully operated for a considerable period of time.

I've talked with Shermann at DG Lights and was impressed with his candor about the future and realities of LEDs. Sean's suggestion is a good one.

I would also strongly suggest jshimmin talk to Color Kinetics. They are now a part of Philips and have been the leaders in LEDs since the beginning. They have a lot of projects out there, including a major one down the hill from my home that has been working well for about a year.

Tom
Old 05-22-2009, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have had more than a pleasing experience with the diogen line but that has been string lights.

just the other day I got my new DG spot. I am very impressed by the color and output. I am also impressed by the quality of the palm65 and the xt that I have. If I am not mistaken both of these are based on the lamina atlas engine. I will be soon lighting the XT and leaving it lit 24 hours a day.

Other ones I have tried and would stay away from would be the Colorstars and the other little known led junk out there. Like Tom I am still not 100% sold on the reliability of the product. I dont care if the manu stands behind it. If I need to go back and replace it then its soon my reputation for building a reliable system that gets burned out.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have had nothing but exceptional performance from the nearly 2000 LED lamps I have installed to date.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA