Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2002, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Cutting Fertilizer

I have a question, I went to go price out a job the other day with my partner. While looking at most of the customers lawn we both noticed something possibly strange. There were many large dead spots through out the yard. As we both looked closer at the yard, it also looked as if someone had cut the fertilizer with small stone chips. They seem to be in a lot of areas that were not native to the area. Not near a street, driveway, foot traffic path.
This brings me to the question. Has anyone every heard of or tried to cut fertilizer like this to reduce costs? I would never think of it, but that is the only idea we came up with that seemed feasable.

Pete
Old 04-03-2002, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Cutting Fertilizer

I have a question, I went to go price out a job the other day with my partner. While looking at most of the customers lawn we both noticed something possibly strange. There were many large dead spots through out the yard. As we both looked closer at the yard, it also looked as if someone had cut the fertilizer with small stone chips. They seem to be in a lot of areas that were not native to the area. Not near a street, driveway, foot traffic path.
This brings me to the question. Has anyone every heard of or tried to cut fertilizer like this to reduce costs? I would never think of it, but that is the only idea we came up with that seemed feasable.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:00 PM
Banned

Maybe you bought some slow release and you're looking @ it...

or maybe.....

someone put.....

TOO,MUCH~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2002, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hahahaha I have never thought of that and would never do it. But think about this. Why go through that kind of trouble and expense. Gravel is somewhat expensive. At least down here it is, comapred to a bag of sand. If you want to broadcast something cheap just get a bag of sand at home depot. You ought to have it anylized or perhapse soak it in water to see if it will actually disolve and break down. Are you totally sure it is stone? Also if you are concerened contact you local ag. department. I have seen large chunks of some sort of strange substance in some of those cheap weed and feed specials at wally world and home depot. I use strictly lesco products and have never seen anything like what you describe.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Cutting

No it was stone chip of some sort, pretty sure that it was not slow release.

I would not put it past some of the guys to try something like that.

It's like mixing sub soil with topsoil and cutting cost down a bit..

or better yet like selling you some of my discounted Enron stock for only $250 a stock....

Pete :blob3:
Old 04-03-2002, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why would they bother to do that? ( cut the fertilizer with something) it's a lot simpler to just adjust back the setting on the spreader some if someone is looking to cut corners.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Cutting

It was a white stone chip, did not seem to be sand, but could be.

If we go back I will take a closer look and see

:blob1:
Old 04-03-2002, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

cutting

Proline,

Like I said that was the only thing we could think of? any other ideas that might work??????
Old 04-03-2002, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They caught a guy in town doing tree injections with water. Buyers beware. A lot of losers out there.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me about a guy who started a pest control business by spraying milk around outside homes and got paid for the work then took the money and bought the chemicals he needed. Unfortunately, my friends home was one of the ones that got the milk treatment..... the termites ate that place apart.