Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2002, 12:39 AM
Banned

Well a few how about this? http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/new...ar_fields.html
Old 04-04-2002, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Could this have been some type of kitty litter. If so some look like small rocks and some contain a lot of salt. Check it out that could be causing the dead spots.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The chips were probably fertilizer grade limestone chips. Used to "make weight" when blending low analysis fertilizers (5-10-5, 10-6-4, 16-4-8, etc). To save money, Ive even seen this stuff sold straight to "dumb" applicators who thought they were buying pelletized lime. The sales guy actually told them this! It takes about 100 years or so for these chips to breakdown to the point where the neutelizing effect is felt. Some folks actually think that if the analysis is low, the product is slow release & therefore safe. Landscapre Architects are constantly writing specs aroung here for fear that immigrant labor will throw the fertilizer in the planting holes at damaging rates. So they spec 5-10-5 ALL CHEMICAL. A blend such as this requires about 1200 lbs of filler & 800lbs ingredients to make 2000 lbs of finished fert. If it's sloppily applied (burned spots?), the filler will be visible for quite some time.

All ferts that are sold in the state of Washington are tested for metals. Some other states do this too. WA actually produces a nice database where concerned individuals can look for themselves. If you're wondering, look here for the brand you use. If they market their products in WA, you'll find it here. Keep in mind that Combination prodcuts may contain binders that skew these reports.
Most metals are found in commercial ferts that contain minera souces of micronutrients or sludge based organics.

http://www-app2.wa.gov/agr/supply1.asp

Steve
Old 04-04-2002, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks steve,

That might be possible, but I doubt the cusotmer would know what was used.

Where in Stratford are you at, I am in Monroe

Pete
Old 04-04-2002, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tru brown just off'ed something onto my neighbor that was all white crystals, looking much like salt, and they only spread it at a rate that put one crystal about every foot - foot and a half. Anyone have any ideas what THIS would be? Oh yeah, they sold it as a PreM, but even the flag said "non pesticide application". Talk about decete(?)

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:21 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Quote:
Originally posted by Runner
Tru brown just off'ed something onto my neighbor that was all white crystals, looking much like salt, and they only spread it at a rate that put one crystal about every foot - foot and a half. Anyone have any ideas what THIS would be? Oh yeah, they sold it as a PreM, but even the flag said "non pesticide application". Talk about decete(?)

46-0-0
Old 04-04-2002, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Pete,
Hadn't noticed you were from CT. Im south of Trumbull line on 108.

Steve
sls247@lesco.com
Old 04-04-2002, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Runner that stuff sounds like Urea. Be careful with that stuff because it burns grass real easy but it sure greens up fast. I think Stone had the right analysis for it with 46-0-0
Old 04-04-2002, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's pretty much what I thought it was, being who put it down, and all. Although, they laid it down extremely thin. That's o.k., I followed it about a week after, with a REAL dose 24-5-11. Now that they are (re)fired, I'll be able to do my program, and give these people the golf ball test by the end of the season.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If a pesticide was used, often times they are sprayed on clay particles or corn cobs, then blended with fertilizer. Could be a mineral supliment.

Mark