Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2009, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Track Skid Steer Help

Hey guys
After many years of renting I am finally going to buy a used track machine. Cat 257b is what I have pretty much narrowed it down to. THis is the unit we have been renting for a long time, dealer is close buy, and most folks seem pretty happy with their Cats.

I need help with some of the key inspection points that I need to check while Im looking. I can easily identify the simple stuff: Undercaraige wear, hydro hoses, overall drive and operation etc.

So for any of you out there that either own one, or know enough about em to give me a heads up on the things to check and how to do so that would be great.

I have recently found a unit that is a great buy ( or so it seems) 250 hrs exceptional shape and reasonably priced, however its about 15 hrs from me.

I have seen tons of pics of it and asked the simple questions, If I decide to go for it and drive out to get her what can I do to cover my bases?

Appreciate the help
Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtscaper View Post
Hey guys
After many years of renting I am finally going to buy a used track machine. Cat 257b is what I have pretty much narrowed it down to. THis is the unit we have been renting for a long time, dealer is close buy, and most folks seem pretty happy with their Cats.

I need help with some of the key inspection points that I need to check while Im looking. I can easily identify the simple stuff: Undercaraige wear, hydro hoses, overall drive and operation etc.

So for any of you out there that either own one, or know enough about em to give me a heads up on the things to check and how to do so that would be great.

I have recently found a unit that is a great buy ( or so it seems) 250 hrs exceptional shape and reasonably priced, however its about 15 hrs from me.

I have seen tons of pics of it and asked the simple questions, If I decide to go for it and drive out to get her what can I do to cover my bases?

Appreciate the help

I would reevaluate purchasing a 257B. They are not thought of very highly here on this site, mostly due to lack luster performance. If you decide that the 257 is for you go to Iron Planet.com and check what they are going for on the site. They don't hold their value very well. Whatever you end up paying it should not be much. Good luck with your decision.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chris, have you considered an ASV like a pt60 or the likes? I rent them often and am very happy with them. You can try one at CRW in Williston or Harvest Equip in Williston. Just an alternative to what you said.. very similar but a tad cheaper. Things must be going well... best of luck with your search - Schuyler

"Democracy is not a choice between good and bad, but between bad and worse."
Old 05-30-2009, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 257B is known for blowing engines and being under powered. You should take a look at the 3 series...
Old 05-30-2009, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grab one of the B2 series, nothing really wrong with the older B's, but the B2's have the updates on the undercarriages that make life easier.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 05-30-2009, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks.

Anyone out there own a 257b? Any advice on thoroughly looking one over?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 247 and 257 are the same, except for the slightly longer ass end and loader, but they are the same engine, pumps (high flow is an option on the 257) There's not too much to look for other than the undercarriage, the engine is a tough one to see if it has problems other than on start up and idle.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 05-31-2009, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. Keep it coming.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wasn't impressed with the improvements in the 257BII. I will admit, it's a better machine in regards to more horsepower than the 257 and 257B. However, I wasn't blown away and the 257 is a misfit. The 257 needs more horsepower and a longer undercarriage, period. I don't recommend the 257 in any series variation as I've run them all. There are much better options available.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 06-01-2009, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was hoping QPS would post. Dedicated CAT guy and had nothing good to say about the 257B. He traded it back and got a 297C. There are better machines out there, but if its the one you want, there are many to choose from.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.