Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

re-seeding

my lawn for some reason is dying. only 25% have grass growing. I went to spread some more seed on the top but its been like a week already and nothing. do i need some sort of top soil to cover it?

thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

grass seed sometimes dosn't germinate for 10-14 days .... give it 2 weeks then re apply seed to bare areas

CJ's Lawn Service LLC
Christopher Jodoin Owner
www.cjslawn.com
ICPI CERTIFIED PAVER INSTALLER
Lawncare-Landscaping-Snow Removal
Est.2002 Licensed and Insured
Old 06-01-2009, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

ok ill give it a try. another thing how long should i water my lawn?
and how often?
Old 06-06-2009, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if you lawn is made up of warm season or cool season grasses. I have little experience with warm season grasses. The information below applies to cool season grasses like bluegrass, fescue and rye.

Your lawn should receive 1 to 1 1/2 inches of water weekly, whether from rainfall or from watering. Use a rain guage to monitor the rainfall, then once weekly, add enough water to push it to the recommended amount of water for that week. Don't forget to empty the rain guage right after watering.

It is important to do your watering in as few "installments" as possible, so that the water goes deeply into the soil. Watering lightly, and more often will give poor results. Light watering only moistens the top 1/4 inch or so of the soil, encouraging a shallow root system, since the roots will seek out the water.

Overseeding the lawn the way you described usually doesn't yield the best of results. I wouldn't expect more than 20% or so of the seed to germinate. For best results you need to improve your seed-to-soil contact. This can be done by aerating just before seeding, by power seeding/slit seeding, by using a roller to press the seed into the soil, by using a rake to scratch the surface of the soil and work in the seed, by applying a layer of topsoil over the seed ....... I could go on all day with additional methods, but you probably get the point.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Just to add to rstrman's response... You should also know that fall is the best time to seed. Spring seeding does not always give best results due to the immature grass no making it through the harsh summer conditions. Also you should only be watering in the early morning hours (between 4 a.m. and 10 a.m. generally) A good way to guage your water output is to put a tuna can on the lawn when watering, when the can is full you have about watered enough. Good luck!