Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2009, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pricing Concrete Tearout

I was asked yesterday to do a small concrete tearout job, and just wondering how everyone else prices jobs like this. Its a 5'x10' slab, 4 inches thick. Im thinking i need to set a minimum($) for jobs like this? Its still going to take a skid, hammer, and a truck to haul if off. A Tandem that i would hire for 1 hour runs $60. Would a $200 min be out of line? What is your normal Sq Ft. tearout running? Thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

5x10?? That's it?

That would take me 3 minutes to break up, my cost would be $105 per hour, $100 for the trucking and dump site and depending on how far from my place, $30-60 haul charge, you would need at least a $300 minimum including haul time and trucking.

I would never touch that job, too small for me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 06-02-2009, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help ron. I hate to take on a job this small, but starting out I dont want to get a bad reputation going in my area. They do have some more concrete work for me, so I will be on site 1 day.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

A sledge hammer and wheelbarrow could do that job.

A homeowner here wouldn't even pay for a machine to do that job. Rent a electric jack hammer get a truck with a mason dump close and chuck it in and go.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Just did a small tear out myself in a backyard. 4 hours total time including lunch. 3' X 25' Sidewalk.

Starting at noon, I cut the sidewalk where it met with the patio using a cut off saw and diamond blade.
Got the Ramrod Bucket underneath a corner and lifted it a few inches in the air. Hit it with the sledge. Tracked the concrete onto the flatdeck trailer.
Made several trips to the trailer. Ran the rake over the grass to lift the flattened grass from my tracks. Left the house at 2:45 for the concrete depot. Dropped 3600 lbs of concrete for $30. Returned to the house by 4pm.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovative View Post
Just did a small tear out myself in a backyard. 4 hours total time including lunch. 3' X 25' Sidewalk.

Starting at noon, I cut the sidewalk where it met with the patio using a cut off saw and diamond blade.
Got the Ramrod Bucket underneath a corner and lifted it a few inches in the air. Hit it with the sledge. Tracked the concrete onto the flatdeck trailer.
Made several trips to the trailer. Ran the rake over the grass to lift the flattened grass from my tracks. Left the house at 2:45 for the concrete depot. Dropped 3600 lbs of concrete for $30. Returned to the house by 4pm.
That's a sensible job and time, using small equipment on a small job.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 06-02-2009, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, I didn't think it was too bad.
Biggest effort was going from the back yard to the street, uphill. Thank goodness I wasn't doing it by wheelbarrow.
Forgot I spent 5 minutes pulled over on the way to the dump, when a friggin tree branch fell out of the sky denting the door and breaking the vent visor.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

If the distance is too far or you can't get the truck close you have to use a machine to cart it to the truck.

A 5x10 slab is a piece of cake it may not even have rebar in it so it will break up easy. If its got rebar or wire its going to be pain to remove.

Lots of places I have worked you can't get a machine into. The concrete went in with a wheelbarrow or pump it has to come out in a wheelbarrow.

You build ramps and mini bridges out of lumber to get the wheelbarrow around the house.

I don't do those kinds of jobs anymore my back is shot I can't be doing that slave labour.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gr, I am bringing in a skid for another job on this property at the same time, so i will use it to remove the broken up concrete, and load it into the tandem.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

You would have to have other work on the job for the machine or you have easy homeowners to deal with. I would probably just have a rolloff box dumped on the property load it up with the concrete. Then your not in a hurry to get the truck loaded and gone.