Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2009, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The wait is over

Well guys, finally got a call for work. Going to work for a large contractor in the area, does quite a bit of heavy highway work, site development, commercial building sites, etc.. I will be working about 50 miles from home, probably drive every day for the rest of this week until I figure out somewhere to camp close by or I might stay with a couple buddies in the area of the job. Job started 1 month ago and is supposed to be a multi-year project. Got a buddy who works for them as well and says they're a great outfit, he said he had heard they hadn't laid anybody off even with the slowdown. I've also heard the same story from others I've talked to who have worked for them as well. Dispatched to run loader and whatever they tell me. Will post more when I know more.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Its good to hear some "good" news in this economy......good luck with the job Scag! I wonder if maybe some of that early stimulus money is finally kicking in and doing what it was advertised to do?! Naw!

Gravel Rat, did you copy on this "positive" post?! lol
Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

In PA we are starting to see some highway work on the other side of the state near Philly... guys are starting to be called. -SL
Old 06-02-2009, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag sorry. Forgot to mention congrats!!! -SL
Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks guys. It seems as if the stimulus money is finally hitting the ground, although this isn't a stimulus project as it started a month ago. Definately helps overall that the stimulus is here, don't know where we'd be without it. I talked to a buddy of mine who works at this company, he says the project I'm headed to is a pretty good size state funded road project.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Member

It is about time you got a d*mn job and quit being a couch potato watching the Young and the Restless and the As the world turns

This is the time of year for road projects when its hot and your causing traffic tie ups making people frustrated.

Too bad you couldn't find yourself a decent travel trailer and stay in a camp ground or a RV park. Cheaper than renting a apartment or hotel room. It is what most guys I know do when they work out of town.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good to hear you got some work.Scag, What part of the area are you going to be working.

minimax
10' Deere 323D CTL cab,EH controls,high flow,reverising fan 78" 4-in-1 bucket,US mower 72" Razor flail head, Deere PR96 power rake,Faver grapple
05' Kaufman gooseneck 14k trailer
00' FL70 Freightliner dump truck w/t high lift gate
00' Trail king tk20 trailer
97' Deere F1145 front mower
Old 06-03-2009, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

GR, I'll probably end up camping close by eventually. A good tent and a rain shelter will do me just fine for the time being, however the weather is super nice right now. I'd just like to get a few days under my belt, then I'll figure out better arrangements. May even find a guy travelling from my neck of the woods as well and carpool, that would actually be ideal.

Sounds like I'll be on this project for a while in which case I could probably afford to score a good, used travel trailer in a couple months. On the other hand, I'm really nervous about spending any money even though I think I've landed a pretty solid gig, this whole downturn deal has me running scared when it comes to spending large amounts of money. I also don't have a truck to move one anymore, but my dad has an extra truck I could borrow as needed when the job starts and finishes to move the trailer.

Minimax, will be working right off I-5 in Tacoma.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

First day went well. Got to the job way too early, probably do the same in the morning. I was told the company will be there at the site, one way or another, for the next 2 years. Today I worked on an area that will eventually be an off ramp that leads into an overhead interchange.

Couldn't be happier with the company I've been sent to, they seem to be very well organized. We have a few big toys on site, a Komatsu PC300, couple Cat 325CL's, D8R, D5K LGP, and a near new PC600.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48 View Post
First day went well. Got to the job way too early, probably do the same in the morning. I was told the company will be there at the site, one way or another, for the next 2 years. Today I worked on an area that will eventually be an off ramp that leads into an overhead interchange.

Couldn't be happier with the company I've been sent to, they seem to be very well organized. We have a few big toys on site, a Komatsu PC300, couple Cat 325CL's, D8R, D5K LGP, and a near new PC600.
so what were you doing? Running a machine, running a lazer like for the last company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!