Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Registry Cleaners

Has anyone ever used registry cleaners on their computers?
I have the classic signs- it's slow, freezes, error messages...

Just wondering if they work.

I've got Norton Virus, and spyware removal
Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Norton is horrible. You minus well be installing as many viruses as possible on your computer. There are several things you can do here:

1. My personal preference is install ubuntu - It's a Windows replacement based on the linux kernel. I use this for my everyday computer. No spyware, no viruses but the downside is it takes an adjustment because things are layed out differently than windows. Ubuntu is open source meaning it's free to use and developed by a much larger group of individuals than say MS Windows. If you have any doubts to it's viability as a Windows/Vista replacement consider the fact that ~80-90% of computers worldwide including the servers that run websites, corporate backbones and a large majority of computer professionals own computers are also linux/unix. Software such as Open Office(free but equal v. of MS Office) is free and easily installable. Updates come often and are easy to install and things just works. Wireless, Graphics, Sound etc... Anyways I'll get off my rant about ubuntu but end it w/ my entire family including my parents now use linux and I don't have to remove viruses/spyware off their computers anymore. If you want to learn more about this I will add to the post for anyone who's interested.

2. Option 2 - If you're deadset on using windows/vista go grab a copy of CC Cleaner which is free. Follow their instructions for removing registry issues and protecting from future issues. Also, If you want to get a high quality virus scanner be prepared to pay. Eset NOD32 is the best out their right now but it costs ~30/year. It's lightweight but provides excellent protection. If you want to go free check out Avast Anti-virus. It's the best free one at the moment, but STAY AWAY from mcafee, norton etc... they just paint a huge target on your back. And as always, once you've done all this, be prepared to do it all again in about 3 - 6 months if not sooner.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Thanks for the info1!

I will look into all of that.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are all sotware compatible with this such as Quickbooks?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

If you mean ubuntu, you can run almost any windows application from within ubuntu using a program called wine. Wine is a windows emulator that allows you to run programs that were originally created with MS Windows/Vista users in mind. If you run a particular program on windows I can check and see if it will run under linux.

If you mean the virus programs and CC cleaner, yes they are compatible w/ quickbooks.