Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2009, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidsteerman View Post
I would assume the plate is taller on the cab option because the door can only be so tall to keep from contacting the boom if the door is opened with boom part way up - make since?

The plate everyone complains about is a shin guard protector and it works. I've had idiots drop rocks and concrete chunks out of the back of the bucket, smashing the eye brow of the ROPS and smashing the shin guard as well. If it wasn't on there the operators lags would have been smashed.
Skidsteerman, where are you from? Just seen the Erb sticker and am now wondering.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I would assume the plate is taller on the cab option because the door can only be so tall to keep from contacting the boom if the door is opened with boom part way up - make since?

The plate everyone complains about is a shin guard protector and it works. I've had idiots drop rocks and concrete chunks out of the back of the bucket, smashing the eye brow of the ROPS and smashing the shin guard as well. If it wasn't on there the operators lags would have been smashed.
This is correct. However, it would not completely limit the ability to open and close the door, it would only decrease the height to which the booms can be lifted without interfering with the door. With the number of complaints Deere has had about the door in the 10 (!!!!!!!!!) years since its introduction, I'd think they would have been willing to compromise a bit to make ingress/egress easier for the 90% of potential customers who b**** about it. The problem is that rather than offering a solution for the problem, Deere tells you why their way is the best (essentially that your customer is wrong - great way to sell equipment). It may or may not actually be the best, but if you can't convince any one else that you're right over the course of ten years, you've spent a lot of time and resources to make 10% of the population extremely happy and the other 90% think you're full of s*** when a simpler solution would be to drop the bottom of the door a couple inches and convince the customer that they should be glad they're able to open the door at all.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Comeawn, tell us how you really feel

I'm 6'2" and Deere's cab door does bring the suck - it's the height that makes it tough to climb in and out - try it with a hard hat on

On that note: I do have a fix which has helped us out a bunch

Attachment 150680
Attachment 150681
Attachment 150682
Attachment 150683

This is a major improvement over the std door IMO, seals up 100% better as well. Notice the wiper motor is located on the bottom of the glass, this helps not only increasing the opening height but also increases the operator visibility when loading trucks.

Edit: Also the door is mounted several inches farther out improving inside cab room.

Nice Deere CTL! I've always liked the looks of Deere CTL. I see you got to Joystick controls, are the Joysticks Caterpillar Style (Left-Drive Right-Loader) or they Case Style (Left-Drive and Loader Lift, Right Drive and Bucket Tilt)? Is there an option to get Case or Cat style on the Joysticks if not standard? I'm a Case control person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Foot View Post
Buy what makes you happy. You're the one thats gonna make the payments .....
Old 06-08-2009, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ISO (Cat) controls are presently the only option for Deere joysticks. Rumor has it that the D series will have selectable joysticks with both ISO and H-pattern (Case) controls.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeereMan85 View Post
This is correct. However, it would not completely limit the ability to open and close the door, it would only decrease the height to which the booms can be lifted without interfering with the door. With the number of complaints Deere has had about the door in the 10 (!!!!!!!!!) years since its introduction, I'd think they would have been willing to compromise a bit to make ingress/egress easier for the 90% of potential customers who b**** about it. The problem is that rather than offering a solution for the problem, Deere tells you why their way is the best (essentially that your customer is wrong - great way to sell equipment). It may or may not actually be the best, but if you can't convince any one else that you're right over the course of ten years, you've spent a lot of time and resources to make 10% of the population extremely happy and the other 90% think you're full of s*** when a simpler solution would be to drop the bottom of the door a couple inches and convince the customer that they should be glad they're able to open the door at all.
I see this is an infected type of sore subject for you too huh?

So, yes this is and has been a problem and gets very aggravating thinking no one hears you at Deere about these things. I was disappointed when the 300 series was introduced in 2005 and no changes were made to the cab. I'm sure you know already that nothing happens faster then a snail pace at Deere.

Things are changing and I feel they will pick up pace in the near future. The new cab coming out will definitely impress you and the nay Sayer's as well. I think if you are 7' tall you'll be able to feel comfortable climbing in and out of the new design.

In the mean time we offer the SIMS cab door as a great solution getting beyond the front door issue.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have no doubt that the new ones will be great - I too have seen the pictures, probably from the same source. I still think it's an indictment of Deere that one of their best CWP dealers has to turn to an aftermarket door manufacturer to provide a solution to a very, very common problem. That being said, I believe (and this is coming from a former diehard Bobcat fan) that Deere offers the best products on the market in spite of their flaws.

On a separate note, I believe you and I met down at WinterFest. Were you the guy from St. Louis who was hanging out at the hotel bar with Dean and the guys from RDO? If so, I was one of the Iowa guys you talked with. Small world.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I have no doubt that the new ones will be great - I too have seen the pictures, probably from the same source. I still think it's an indictment of Deere that one of their best CWP dealers has to turn to an aftermarket door manufacturer to provide a solution to a very, very common problem. That being said, I believe (and this is coming from a former diehard Bobcat fan) that Deere offers the best products on the market in spite of their flaws.

On a separate note, I believe you and I met down at WinterFest. Were you the guy from St. Louis who was hanging out at the hotel bar with Dean and the guys from RDO? If so, I was one of the Iowa guys you talked with. Small world.
Sorry no, That would have been a couple of other fellows I work with (One being my new sales manager - former Bobcat dealership employee) I was... well... at a lady friend house in Rock Island having my own kind of fun.

BTW: I nick named "Winterfest" Winterblow - I'm sure you can put 2+2 together for that one. Funny thing is, they actually were considering renaming it Winterblow up until I told them why I call it that.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Sorry no, That would have been a couple of other fellows I work with (One being my new sales manager - former Bobcat dealership employee) I was... well... at a lady friend house in Rock Island having my own kind of fun.

BTW: I nick named "Winterfest" Winterblow - I'm sure you can put 2+2 together for that one. Funny thing is, they actually were considering renaming it Winterblow up until I told them why I call it that.
Hahaha, nice. I met your new boss. Once he and the RDO boys got a few drinks in them it turned into a real d***-measuring contest so I said "see ya later" and went to bed. Glad I left when I did, those boys looked like they were going through hell sitting through all the PowerPoints the next day. I'm too old (24) to stay out too late, and the wife wouldn't approve of me having any lady friends, so I usually take it easy at those kinds of functions.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Hahaha, nice. I met your new boss. Once he and the RDO boys got a few drinks in them it turned into a real d***-measuring contest so I said "see ya later" and went to bed. Glad I left when I did, those boys looked like they were going through hell sitting through all the PowerPoints the next day. I'm too old (24) to stay out too late, and the wife wouldn't approve of me having any lady friends, so I usually take it easy at those kinds of functions.
Too old 24 I'm just about (shy about six months) twice your pup age. What are you gonna be like when you hit your thirties?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Agreed. If you measure the plate with the Deere symbol on it, you will notice that it is about 2" taller on cab machines than on ROPS machines.
Are you sure about that being 2" taller?

I added the cab kit (built for a 300 series) to my 250 OROPS and everything fit up at the knee plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.

Tags
deere , sucks