View Poll Results: Which Trimmer?
RedMax BC250 w/ Sthil Handlebars 3 10.00%
RedMax BCZ2401S w/ Sthil Handlebars 7 23.33%
Sthil FS80 & buy solid shaft 20 66.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2009, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Need a new trimmer, help me narrow down my choices

Well, my 7 year old RedMax BC225DL finally quit on me the other day. It's had a few issues, but it's still my favorite whip. I've had issues with it spraying gas out the carb onto myself and vapor lock, but it's so light I love it. I was running a shindawa head on it with the older Sthil handlebars. I also have a Sthil FS110 brushcutter, but it's too darn heavy & it doesn't let enough string out for my taste. I do cut heavy grass at times so I need a solid straight shaft, it can't be the cable or spring drive. Here are my options I am thinking of, some feedback would be appreciated:

RedMax BC250 w/ my Sthil handlebars
RedMax BCZ2401S w/ Sthil handlebars
Sthil FS80 & buy the solid shaft (I wish they still made the FS85)

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadrider12 View Post
Well, my 7 year old RedMax BC225DL finally quit on me the other day. It's had a few issues, but it's still my favorite whip. I've had issues with it spraying gas out the carb onto myself and vapor lock, but it's so light I love it. I was running a shindawa head on it with the older Sthil handlebars. I also have a Sthil FS110 brushcutter, but it's too darn heavy & it doesn't let enough string out for my taste. I do cut heavy grass at times so I need a solid straight shaft, it can't be the cable or spring drive. Here are my options I am thinking of, some feedback would be appreciated:

RedMax BC250 w/ my Sthil handlebars
RedMax BCZ2401S w/ Sthil handlebars
Sthil FS80 & buy the solid shaft (I wish they still made the FS85)

Thanks!

I would suggest go with the Stihl FS90 (4-Mix) because...
Solid shaft.
Stronger than the 80.
Quieter.
Better emissions.
Sips fuel.
Same price.
They are discontinuing 80's b/c of the old 2-stroke design.

PM if you want to talk.

John Deere Z425 23-48" (Mulch, Hitch, Stripe Kits)
3' x 5' Landscape Trailer
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer
Stihl BG 55 Blower

"Turning Grass Into Cash!"
Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighaydenslawn View Post
I would suggest go with the Stihl FS90 (4-Mix) because...
Solid shaft.
Stronger than the 80.
Quieter.
Better emissions.
Sips fuel.
Same price.
They are discontinuing 80's b/c of the old 2-stroke design.

PM if you want to talk.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm just not sold on the 4-Mix, I like the 2 strokers better for trimmers. The 4 mix are too heavy for me and I had the valves go out of adjustment quickly, and a coil go bad on my FS110 and I've had carbonizing problems using Sthil Universal 2 cycle oil. Despite the engine using less fuel on the 4-mix, I actually use less fuel with the 2 stroke because with the light weight I can move that much faster, in the end burning less fuel than my 4-mix.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i run the rmax 2401 for past 3 years , before that for 3 years ran the rmax bc225 . the 2401 has more power buts not as smooth running , and needs to have carb cleaned way more often . i moss the bc225's alot

for one of you get a new rmax take out the spark arrestor or theyll foul up quickly and suffocate machine . two , if your doing tall grass / brush cutting if have money go up to the 27cc rmax model because itll have more power ataround same weight . that extra power shall make it last longer , plus cit the heavy stuff better

and with stihl one of them 80's has a hollow shaft for lightness which is as strong as a solid shaft , ive read guys ralking about this - dont know myself . but from alot of reading here i see alot of guys rave about the stihl fs90 , ALOT .

and i guess the rmax 250 is there changable head unit ? not familiar
Old 06-05-2009, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I actully was talking to an lco and he showed me his fs 80 and its pretty light! and its got the same power as my fs 90 id recomend it, but im a younger guy i dont care about holding an extra pound or 2 And big haydens lawn no offense but the fs 80 has a smaller engine i think its like 25.4 but the same output so the same strength thats why theyre 40bucks more at my dealer
Old 06-05-2009, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 12 fs85's I will sell you one
Old 06-06-2009, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Any more opinions?
Old 06-06-2009, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

the closest to a fs85 is the new fs90R solid shaft at 11.7 pounds if you want something lighter you need to look at the non pro models or a different brand.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had wondered about the BC250 myself. The $199 price tag is sure amazing for being a 25.4cc trimmer (yes, it is a "Home Owner" grade trimmer). But it sure appears that it would be just fine for commercial use. From the parts manual, it appears to be a commercial-grade engine, with 2-ring piston, and also has a solid shaft. It's just not strato-charged like the BCZ2610 is, which should be better because some of the strato-charged engines like on the BCZ2401 have problems with taking forever to warm up. They only have a 90-day commercial warrany though.

I sure am a fan of the RedMax trimmers for being so comfortable and lightweight. I have a TR2300S, and it's really comfy, and super light. But it doesn't have much power.

I too am considering getting an FS 80 and putting a solid shaft in it. Then you can run about 8 different attachments on it, like a hedge trimmer, edger, pole saw, power broom, etc. The 25.4cc PRO Series engine on the FS 80 has been out for at least 20 years, is bulletproof, and highly reliable, whereas neither RedMax has been out that long, and the strato-charged engine on the 2401 has problems. That to me settles it on the FS 80, but you have to make your own decision.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadrider12 View Post
Thanks for the offer, but I'm just not sold on the 4-Mix, I like the 2 strokers better for trimmers. The 4 mix are too heavy for me and I had the valves go out of adjustment quickly, and a coil go bad on my FS110 and I've had carbonizing problems using Sthil Universal 2 cycle oil. Despite the engine using less fuel on the 4-mix, I actually use less fuel with the 2 stroke because with the light weight I can move that much faster, in the end burning less fuel than my 4-mix.
I've got the FS90's. Compared to my old FS80, the 90 blows it out of the water.