Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-27-2006, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

alpine magnum stump grinder

Has anyone used this stump grinder? and is it a back breaker? and what kind of grinder would you recomm end
Old 04-16-2009, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought one. Let me save you a lot of time, money & back ack. You will spend more money on teeth & fixing this thing than you will make. It is a neat idea, but they just have not gotten it to work yet. The teeth dull very fast & will run you about $65 per set. As you are doing a job & the teeth wear down, it cuts slower & slower. The owner of the company says that is mostly from rocks. Well unless you live in a state made of Miracle Grow Potting Soil there is going to be anything from pebbles to boulders in the ground. A neighbor of mine had a larger grinder that you tow behind a truck. He had to tune it up once in 3 years. When I asked him how often he changes the teeth, he said he never has. It would have been worth it to get a small Vermeer. For the little bit of stump grinding we do, I have already had to rebuild the thing to the tune of just over $1000. Now after just having it rebuild not 5 working hours ago, it is broken down again. I donít know if I can afford to fix it again. In the middle of a simple job I had to go rent a real stump grinder. Just some friendly advice I wish someone would have told me.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I own 4 Alpine Grinders and have been using them since 1995. There is a learning curve on these units and you will consume a lot of teeth until you learn how to run them. I live in rock bound Southern California and only change teeth about once a week. I do touch them up frequently with a angle grinder and a diamond wheel. My original unit from 1995 is still running and is used as a back up unit.
I have no idea what the other gentleman is breaking that is costing him so much money as mine have been rock solid. We do however service our units on a daily basis. The nice thing about the Alpine is it will grind stumps just about everywhere other grinders won't.