Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-06-2009, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

general pricing for basic dirt work

is there any price per cubic yard or something similar for spreading dirt? or price per load maybee? i'm looking at doing a job right now and need some prices.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What does your market support? What type of machine will you be using? How good are you? All of that info and your costs, etc., will need to be determined. If your dirt is cheap that may help keep the job price down.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 06-06-2009, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, we need a little more info to help you out. If there was a basic number for everything, everyone would be doing dirt work! Welcome to the game!

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 06-06-2009, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48 View Post
Yeah, we need a little more info to help you out. If there was a basic number for everything, everyone would be doing dirt work! Welcome to the game!
lol

gonna be using a skidsteer. about 8 loads of sand, just smoothing out some areas after construction. probably about 6" of fill in the highest spots and 16" in the lower spots. dirt is about $65 a load. its a pretty basic job, all in all about 1500 square feet.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

To Bucket smooth it should take less than an hour.
Really hard to get a full days pay out of that job but I have a 300 dollar min so it would be at least that.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
lol

gonna be using a skidsteer. about 8 loads of sand, just smoothing out some areas after construction. probably about 6" of fill in the highest spots and 16" in the lower spots. dirt is about $65 a load. its a pretty basic job, all in all about 1500 square feet.
As AWJ said, most guys have minimums as that definately isn't a full day worth of work. Depending on your skill level and the tolerances you'll be working with, it should take anywhere from 1-3 hours to complete if all the material is on site

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 06-06-2009, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Square feet don't mean anything, you've got to figure cubic feet ,and 8 loads your talking about pick up truck loads right?
Old 06-07-2009, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Member

When you say load you have to also say what size of load you could be talking about a mason dump to a tandem axle dump etc.

Here 8 loads would be 96 yards of material your not going to be spreading that in a couple hours.

You might aswell do like the rest of the equipment owners are doing and that is working for just the cost of fuel.

You must have a regular per hour rate for your machine find out what the going rate is in your area.

Every area is different you could be 65 dollars per hour in your state and the next state over is 75 dollars per hour and the other state next to you has gone mexican and charging 25 dollars per hour.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks gravel rat. i didnt know if you charged by the amount of dirt your spreading or by the hour. i was thinking on charging whatever each load of dirt costs x2. if one load costs $100 i would charge $200. i kinda like the hourly thing, but im new to this and dont wanna charge too little time or too much.

i'm going to go measure how much dirt its gonna need and base my decision on that. might even do something like 1 hour charged per load.

oh and by loads i meant single axle dump truck. about 10-12 yards.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

8 tandem loads here will be about 100 to 130 yards and yes I would spread and smooth 8 loads in an hour( no more than 2 hours) unless the material could not be dumped on site.

What type of skid steer are you using?