Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2009, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cost analysis skidsteer on rubber track vs. tire with tracks

Anyone ever figure what the costs are per thousand hours on each? Am considering a Taki 130 series for overall purposes, not just dirt work. Couple of folks have said figure on spending 3k per thousand hours to maintain the rubber track machine's running gear. Wondering what others' experience has been.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on the brand of machine. For the Tak's, I'd say $3K for every 1,000 hours is about right. Tracks don't last forever, average lifespan for tracks is right around 1,000 hours but that's relative to the conditions they operate in. A set of tracks can be had for $3K, but it really depends on where you're getting them. $3K for 1,000 hours covers your tracks, but that is assuming that you don't need new rollers, sprockets, or idlers.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 06-06-2009, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The rubber tracks will wear out before anything else on the undercarriage, Takeuchi knows how to build a solid undercarriage.
Just stick with the OEM tracks, Takeuchi has more steel in the track where the rollers ride on, look closely at them and you will see steel pads, the other names like Mclaren and Bridgestone don't have the pads there, and because everyone's rollers rides on the out side of the guide lugs of the track, that will wear faster.
Attached Images

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 06-06-2009, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen tracks for the tl130 on ebay for $1500...guess the rubber compound is cheaper than OEM.

Still can't figure why the rubber track machine would be cost effective over a rubber tire with steel tracks....loeggering seem to last a couple thousand hours. What are the practical advantages I'm missing? I realize there are a ton of variables to factor as well.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The over the tire tracks do not give the same performance as the CTL machines.

Add the cost of the OTT tracks and the tires combined with foam fill and consider that in the cost of maint compared to the CTL plus the OTT tracks will tear up asphalt and concrete.

The reality is added maint cost of a CTL is really only a couple bucks an hour over a tire machine with all things considered.That added cost can be made up easily in ability to work in adverse conditions.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Take for instance my area a wheel skid is pretty much useless. Now a CTL or skid steer with tracks will do more jobs and go places a wheeled skid can not.

The over the tire tracks on a wheeled skid help a little but as said they tear up the ground too much.

Lets see you blow a tire on a job now you have down time taking the tire to get fixed. You could go with foam filled or a air-less tire but now you are getting into the money.

Next operator productivity. I have run wheel skid steers and let me tell you I get tired of the bouncing around. I have used a Cat tracked skid not on a job but a homeowners machine I drove it around to see what it was like. It was nice to beable to turn and move without the bouncing.

If you ran a wheeled skid 8 hours a day your back and body would be crippled in no time.

If I was in the market for a skid steer it would be one with tracks. Wheeled skid steers are stone age. Maybe if you have easy areas to work in a wheeled skid would be okay.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The extra days of work and the extra work than can be done with a tracked machine far outweigh the $3000 figure of maint. cost IMHO.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbi View Post
The extra days of work and the extra work than can be done with a tracked machine far outweigh the $3000 figure of maint. cost IMHO.
Obviously I agree as well since I own a CTL.

The only way that I would recomend a wheeled skid steer is if you needed a wheel loader, a Hyd platform to run attachments and or digging was an after thought.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The tracks do come in handy when you need that extra floatation and traction. I will say that the VTS has really saved me on a couple jobs already. Once we got used to grading with it, the machine is much desired over the wheel machine. I don't know what this will cost to run, but we have been keeping it only in those jobs that can benefit from a tracked machine.

I think it will cost more than a couple bucks an hour and as the machine ages that will certainly increase. Maybe in the first 1000 hours you could get a way with only needing tracks, the hours after that will certainly be more. If the tracks are 3K for both thats three dollars an hour, not enough to cover anything else. The numbers I have seen are around $5.00 an hour for a CTL, Cat I am sure is much more. Don't know how much more or less VTS will be. However when you need the benefits of the tracks it sure is nice.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Okay...some helpful feedback, thanks.

Couple more questions:

1)in a landscaping situation with a yard that has sod in it - when you make repairs or regrade it seems the loegering tracks effectively pulverizes the sod, thus separating the grass from the dirt which then gets sucked up in the rock hound. It doesn't seem the rubber tracks would do the same.

2)in greasy situations the loegering tracks seem to clean out fairly well upon rotation....what about the rubber tracks....are they hands down more effective for traction?

Seems like the wheel machines are more versatile if you're running across blacktop or concrete a lot, but I see more and more of the utility contractors using the Taki and tracked bobcats now.