Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Acid Stain/Seal Concrete

Recently had a concrete patio installed and I would like to acid stain it to give it a marbled bluestone look. Anyone have any advice, tips, tricks on what products to use, how to achieve this marbled look etc.? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Acid staining is going to give you an irreguler or marble look. The biggest thing are to allow the concrete to cure at least 2 weeks before staining. Surface prep is also very important any dirt or stain on the surface will react diffrently with the acid. Be sure to use a non fading sealer.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response...I'm good as far as letting the slabe cure, it was poured on 4/24/09. What type of product should I clean the surface with prior to staining? Being that it is new, it is pretty clean but I understand what you mean about dirt/grime reacting with the stain. The guy who poured the slab said I could stain using a 2 part mix...the acid stain and a mottling agent. He was not sure what the mottling agent was called and I've not been able to find anything about it on the internet. Again, trying to achieve the color and marbled effect of bluestone.