Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-08-2009, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fastraps

Installed a set a couple of weeks ago for a walk behind and they are awesome! One thing though I guess I didn't consider. I use my trailer to haul mulch once in a while. Once these things are installed it appears they cannot be removed unless you unscrew them due to the straps being fed through the chocks BEFORE you screw them down.

Anyone else run into this? Did you just through the mulch or dirt over top of them and let them get all nasty? Guess this is one of the drawbacks. DOH!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure what you mean by putting the straps on before you screw the chocks down. I have no problem at all threading the straps through with them in place. At first I left the straps on which made it harder to shovel the mulch, now I take the straps off AND lay a tarp down before I have them fill it up.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
Not sure what you mean by putting the straps on before you screw the chocks down. I have no problem at all threading the straps through with them in place. At first I left the straps on which made it harder to shovel the mulch, now I take the straps off AND lay a tarp down before I have them fill it up.

Well I guess what I'm saying is; I threaded the chocks with the straps before I screwed them down per the instructions. So, they are threaded through the bottom of the chocks which you can't really get to once installed. Does that make sense? Or, is there another way to thread them? It looks like I could maybe thread them like I initially did by going under the chocks and grabbing the strap tip with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Sorry to be possibly blowing something minor out of proportion.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes i ran into the same problem. Mine are also threaded through the back so its hard to take thme out.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

maybe you guys are not trying hard enough. I can remove and re-install them in a minute. Sure it's tight but it's really not hard at all.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree you cannot re-strap the fastraps without un-screwing the chocks from the floor.
So, what I do is put down a big piece of cardboard over both the chocs/straps if I am hauling mulch/dirt/trimming debris. Not a perfect solution, but it works.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 06-09-2009, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Installed a set a couple of weeks ago for a walk behind and they are awesome! One thing though I guess I didn't consider. I use my trailer to haul mulch once in a while. Once these things are installed it appears they cannot be removed unless you unscrew them due to the straps being fed through the chocks BEFORE you screw them down.

Anyone else run into this? Did you just through the mulch or dirt over top of them and let them get all nasty? Guess this is one of the drawbacks. DOH!!!

I have a dump trailer for mulch jobs but used to use a tarp when I used my lawn trailer for hauling mulch and debris. I don't think the fastraps will mind being covered up...

I would also duct tape them in place under the tarp as well...just to eliminate sharp edges under the tarp...maybe even do a sheet of luan plywood over them to ensure you're not going to hack them up with the mulch fork??

B y the way I just installed my fastraps last week and I love them...!
Redmax EBZ8001 Backpack Blower
Stihl FS90 string trimmer
Stihl Kombi 130 System w/cultivator/trimmer/edger/power brooms
SnoWay 29 series 8ft plow
Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I agree you cannot re-strap the fastraps without un-screwing the chocks from the floor.
So, what I do is put down a big piece of cardboard over both the chocs/straps if I am hauling mulch/dirt/trimming debris. Not a perfect solution, but it works.
I guess I could set-up my video camera and take a video clip of how easy it is to thread the straps through the chocks while bolted down. It's so easy a caveman could do it. It's all in manipulation of the strap.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I ran into this problem also. I can take my straps off or put them back on without removing the chocks in less than a minute or two. You just need a little pocket screwdriver and a pair of neednose pliers. I always take my back pack blower and blow the mulch out of the chocks before reinstalling.
JH 60 John Deere push mower
B2630 Kubota with LA403 Loader
PL60 Woods Core Aerator
Land Pride 5ft. box blade
Echo Back Pack Blower
Echo Shred and Vac
Echo SRM260 Trimmer
Echo SRM2100 Trimmer
Echo PE 280 Edger
Echo Hedge Trimmer
Echo Chain Saw
Old 06-09-2009, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are really concerned you could use bolts so you would be able to take the chocks off the trailer deck