Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2014, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I treated myself to a pair of Shure SE535

After 3+ years of service my Shure Pro audio SE425's finally failed in the left channel due to a separated driver housing. These are the replaceable cable In Ear Monitors some of your favorite rock star musicians use on stage. The 425's sound quality was pretty awesome but the 535's are noticeably better to my audio snob ears.

Sensitivity is a bit better on these so less volume is needed and less amp load is pulled to drive them. So what this means you don't need the best phone or MP3 player, iPod to drive them in a decent manner.

A dedicated headphone amp is always best but not practical.

I have a pair of Peltor Work tunes and the noise isolation is pure crap and the -25 dB rating is fairly lame. The audio quailty on the Work Tunes is extremely poor in comparison.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/s...-34168053.html

Just wish I had gone for these years ago.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You spent $300 on these?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass disaster View Post
You spent $300 on these?
Posted via Mobile Device
Just under $500 for open box "B" stock. My prior SE425's held up for almost 4 years and countless replaceable destroyed cables. Those cost just under $300.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just a quick update. My Droid HD's battery last longer since the sensitivity is better than with my old SE425's...thus less volume pushed to drive them. Sound quality is noticeably better than the old 425's.

The sound quality equivalent is much like spending $5,000 plus an a very high wattage car stereo but with out window rattling bass extension. Actually you can damage internal organs with hyper extended bass in autos but folks would not care.

Once I can afford to buy a new truck I will sport for $999.00 recently released Shure IEMs.

The only draw back with these is the increased volume with some phone call is ear splitting loud. The extra inline antenuator is fairly low end and cheesy. Will try to round up a better actual quality unit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 03-26-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im lost................
Old 03-26-2014, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Im lost................

High End -25dB hearing protection [many of your favorite rock stars wear these on stage to save what little hearing they may have left] anyhow....they deliver stellar high end sound quality. They plug into my Smartphone or Mp3 player. I wear my Peltor H10A's over the top of them for even better noise reduction and hearing protection. There is zero need to raise the volume to hear them. The work tunes muffs with the built in radio are total garbage in comparison to this combo. Poor hearing protection and poor quaility.

This job doesn't pay enough to go deaf. I still have better hearing than many half my age.

Larry it's kind of like this....my life is fairly devoid of enjoyable things currently I can actually look forward to on a daily basis for mere pennies a day as long as the enclosures are not destroyed or lost. They have replaceable cables since I trash these about every 4-8 weeks. The other joy in my life is seeing my dog alive and well almost put her down few months ago [she's always glad to see me when I come home] and the best for last seeing my son daily vs what the future holds with split custody.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hearing protection is prolly a good idea. That stuff would just get lost in my truck lol.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Hearing protection is prolly a good idea. That stuff would just get lost in my truck lol.
When I have lost these in the past...it is a near criss. I have an older pair of Shure SE210's [backup]and those are pretty decent but lack the detail of these new ones.

Speaking of lost...lost my daily 2014 log book wasted many hours looking for it today. Still lost.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I am an audio guy. I work with all kinds of shure audio equipment. They are kinda like high end mowers, they always perform and last. A friend of mine in college had a pair of those, we compared them to my Sony noise canceling head phones, I blew them away. I have a pair of klipsch ear buds and I am in love. I think they have way better sound quality than shure and way btter low end. Maybe my friends were full of ear wax because it had horrible low end. Yes the shures are made better and will last longer, but for goodness sake they are used on a lawn mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Just a quick update. My Droid HD's battery last longer since the sensitivity is better than with my old SE425's...thus less volume pushed to drive them. Sound quality is noticeably better than the old 425's.

The sound quality equivalent is much like spending $5,000 plus an a very high wattage car stereo but with out window rattling bass extension. Actually you can damage internal organs with hyper extended bass in autos but folks would not care.

Once I can afford to buy a new truck I will sport for $999.00 recently released Shure IEMs.

The only draw back with these is the increased volume with some phone call is ear splitting loud. The extra inline antenuator is fairly low end and cheesy. Will try to round up a better actual quality unit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Its about db, not Hz. If I remember right you have pernament hearing damage at 90 db, and show we run is between 90-98 db and that's a church worship service. Concert your talking 100 on up db. I'm sure I listen to my car sound system well beyond 90 db lol so bass is kinda irrelevant. One show I was working on the guy had the sweest system I've ever seen. Standing 200ft from the speakers he could vibrate your shirt and thump you in the chest at talking volume which is like 60-70 db. the show was called stomp. It was pretty amazing.
Posted via Mobile Device