Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2010, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok Saturday I was clearing some marsh land and I stepped on a snake, well the snake did not like being stepped on so it bit me. Good for me it was a very very mild bite, hardly any venom at all( copper head by the way), But man did I feel bad the next day. So flash froward to today. Feeling good get to my first lawn I am running the ZTR next to a wooden fence. All of a sudden this black round soft thing lands on my leg after hitting the fence. I ran over one of the kids toy snakes, but this thing was one of them heavy real looking ones.. Scared the living crap out of me.. If you have never seen a 250 pound man leap from a ztr mower in under a second you missed a good show!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man I feel like I've hit just about everything...

Water main cap
Snakes
Baseballs
Golf Balls
A large diameter rope (not too long so it didn't take long to unwrap)
Metal Stakes
Roots (man those things can be not so fun to hit)
Hit two dog stake, one in the ground which didn't really do anything but the other was just laying on the ground, shot out the side discharge and flew about 30 feet.

Killed a bunny the size of a softball after running over the nest in the ground, I think about 5 of them ran out, one didn't make it...

Ran over and bagged a purple thong that must have dropped from the clothes line (if I remember correctly, she was gorgeous).

I'm sure there are tons and tons more but that's all I can think of now.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Tennis balls
Newpaper (what a mess!!!)
Various small toys
Water Sprinkler

and worse yet..

Doggie Dooley Septic system. I knew it was there but I guess I was daydreaming and zoned out for a sec and then ..."WHAM!!! WTF!!???"

Equipment:
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2009 5'x10' Utility Trailer
2011 Scag Tiger Cat 48" Deck
2005 Wright Sentar 48" Deck
22" Toro Recycler Push Mower
Stihl BR380 Blower
Poulan Pro hand held blower
Echo HC-150 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PE-230 Edger
Echo SRM-260 Trimmer
Red Max BCZ2401S Trimmer
Old 04-18-2011, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The best hit I've had was at a cemetery. I was running the ZTR down a row when my rear wheel hit a rabbits nest and they all scrambled out of the nest right into the deck of my mower, I heard a thud, some loud squealing, and then looked to the discharge to see rabbit parts and a mist of blood spray out. I stopped, turned around, and saw 5 baby rabbits doing the "dead shock flop" all between the row of headstones. I've never seen anything so crazy....
Old 04-18-2011, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lately I have been doing a lot of cleanups of older props being taken off the foreclosure market. I never realized how much old school iron pipe and brass sprinkler heads are still out there. Hidden under ivy and jasmine or in old planting beds. Brush hogs are tough but still makes for a good jolt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

mostly rocks, trash, sticks, pine cones, sweet gum balls, roots, metal piece of wire that went into a window lol, a small ball of yarn that went everywhere (a dog toy i guess?), and i think that's about it so far.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

most memorable thing that i have ever hit was a golf ball. The man above must of been mad at me that day. Golf ball hit a tree about 10 ft away, came flying back, and got me right in the forhead. leaving a huge knot
Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I think i can one up everybody on the weirdest thing I've hit.... but I'm in Alabama this probably won't surprise some of y'all yankees too bad it won't let me upload the pic but i hit a deer hip bone... And found 4 more in the yard...
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

When we first moved into out house I was mowing with my wifes grandmothers mower and I pushed it under some thick brush in the back of the yard - when I pulled it back out the gas line got pulled off and the top of the mower caught on fire. I was running/pushing it toward the house and yelling for my wife to get the garden hose. She started laughing and laughed so hard that she could not get the hose.
Later she said she was laughing because it looked like I was mowing so fast that the mower caught on fire. HA HA HA! I said.

Worst part was that our neighbor was still sizing us up and she saw the whole episode. She must have thought - oh god, there goes the neighborhood.

If I mention that day my wife still laughs about it and that was 22 years ago.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

two years ago I mowed a bird. he just wouldn't move out of the way. thought he would, I didn't want to mess the stripe up. blew feathers from here to the high heavens.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything