Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last summer, one of my guys on a 48" Exmark with a 23hp Kaw hit a piece of gravel that was hidden in the grass. That piece of gravel flew clear across the street right through a large picture window and buried itself in the living room sheet rock wall. That was expensive.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowed over an entire litter? of bunnies. They weren't more than the size of a mouse. There must have been 8 or so of them. The mother had them in a burrow and covered up the hole with grass etc. There was no way to know. I'm not too much of a man to say that my day was ruined.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
Mowed over an entire litter? of bunnies. They weren't more than the size of a mouse. There must have been 8 or so of them. The mother had them in a burrow and covered up the hole with grass etc. There was no way to know. I'm not too much of a man to say that my day was ruined.
I got my first bunny of the season last Thursday. You never see them till its too late.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A used feminine hygiene product. Looked pretty "fresh" too.

You better believe I left that sucker!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Creative, bunnies for me.
A bird that would not move, funny.
The biggest was a water meter cap, no damage to my mower only to the city.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Last season I hit a rabbit's nest. There were two small ones and the worst part was that the blades didn't get them. One was fine but I think the tire got the hip and legs of the other because it was flailing around for a while. I was trying to decide if I should run it back over to put it out of it's misery or just let it be. I decided to leave it. I guess it either recovered or made a nice snack for a lucky hawk.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bunny nest are an issue every year and we try to look out and advoid them, but that not always the case sad to say.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A spool of wire, an electrical cord with a snow blower, and some sort of aborted fetus that stunk so bad I could taste it, and then all the other stuff listed.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Last spring, I was mowing a small area of thin grass near a busy two lane road. Off to the side, I noticed a female kildeer doing her usual "Oh crap! I have a broken wing and can't get away! Please chase me away from my nest act."

Now personally I can't stand those birds. Annoying shrieking call, trying to look like a cool roadrunner or something always zipping around the yard.

Anyway, a few passed later she runs directly in front of me and stops. No more lame duck act, just one massively pissed off mama bird a few mere inches from her nest. So I stopped, stared her down and inched the 60" exmark a bit closer to test her resolve. She wouldn't budge. So, feeling a bit like Nero at the gladitorial games, I decided, "This one has spirit and amuses me" and gave her the thumbs up.

Weeks pass. Each time I'm there, so is she. I avoid her area and check to see the eggs still haven't hatched.

Then one week, that miracle of nature happens, and instead of one mama bird and five specked eggs, there's one big bird and five tiny cottonballs running around on toothpicks.

I thought "Awww, so cute and adorable. I really am glad that I avoided the nest so I got the chance to see this."

I wasn't very close to them at all, but I guess the mower scared them, and they all starting scurrying about in random directions. Well, I suppose pseudo-randomly, because they all ended up eventually in the center of the aforementioned busy two lane road.

Now the odds of a car tire directly hitting a tiny bird is pretty small, however when said bird weighs a fraction of an ounce, well, wind sheer can be pretty tragic.

End result, despite the best of intentions, and their mother's heroic bravery, we were back where we began: Just me and a single bird.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm fairly certain posting in this thread yesterday cursed me. I just nailed a baby rabbit with my trimmer... took some fur off that fella. He was still alive enough to make a dash for cover under an AC unit.