Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-09-2009, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Member

The usual sticks, rocks, tree roots. Worst ever was a dead skunk. Made my mower, and the whole neighborhood, smell like I can't even begin to describe.
Honda HRX217K2HXA
Toro Recycler
Stihl BR600
Stihl KM90 + FCS-KM + FS-KM + HL-KM 135
Stihl MS180

That progressives and other collectivists can maintain with a straight face that “we are the government” while simultaneously maintaining that “a corporation is separate and apart from its owners” stands of one of the most glaring inconsistencies in their ideologies. -Robert Higgs
Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All the usual stuff plus tennis balls. I cut a wide open 6 acre basin and when I see a tennis ball I make sure I hit it just to see how far it will go. It gets mighty boring out there.

Also, the top of a metal water shut off valve in the ground. That one scared me but nothing happened to the mower.
6.5x12 big tex
honda ridgeline
Old 06-09-2009, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Didn't see it listed yet but I'll tell you newspapers are nothing compared to the phone book. Seemed like an hour, cleaning up afterwards. Also snakes,frogs,a walking catfish,birds(alive and dead). Wildlife fear me!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Have hit all the usual stuff but the worst came friday. Mowing an empty lot and hit a 1/4" vinyl tube off of a carpet steam cleaner. Managed to fry the battery and all the relays in the hustler. This was after hitting a 4" limb and mowing knee deep grass all on the same lot. Just got done thinking to myself this thing is a beast and wham. Vinyl tubing takes it down.

Also hit a playboy one time. Sent nice little pictures all over the neighborhood.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

2" diameter steel bicycle foot peg, 3/4" diameter ground rod, I bent it and shaved the top off, 1/2" rebar property corner (21" mower stopped), rocks, balls, dog crap.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 06-09-2009, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

This one gave me quite a laugh, as it was well deserved. This DA kid had one of those "4 x 4" RC trucks thought he'd be cute & try to out run my scag with it. Little idiot sends it right out in front of me as I'm cutting along the street edge, jumps the rounded curb with it thinking he can out run me I guess....... Ah I didn't pull back on the sticks like I guess he expected & end of RC truck!

I was kind of surprised it didn't just knock it out of the way, but it must have caught just right, because it got reduced to bug dust after that. Either way it happened so fast even if I had tried to stop I'd have still nailed it, hope the fuel in it didn't affect the lawn too bad. Wonder what he told his parents happened to his "toy"?! He just stood there looking stupid after it was over & then was gone on my next pass.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

dog toys. i have chopped up a frisby before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Suck it, Al Gore.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadOne View Post
This one gave me quite a laugh, as it was well deserved. This DA kid had one of those "4 x 4" RC trucks thought he'd be cute & try to out run my scag with it. Little idiot sends it right out in front of me as I'm cutting along the street edge, jumps the rounded curb with it thinking he can out run me I guess....... Ah I didn't pull back on the sticks like I guess he expected & end of RC truck!

I was kind of surprised it didn't just knock it out of the way, but it must have caught just right, because it got reduced to bug dust after that. Either way it happened so fast even if I had tried to stop I'd have still nailed it, hope the fuel in it didn't affect the lawn too bad. Wonder what he told his parents happened to his "toy"?! He just stood there looking stupid after it was over & then was gone on my next pass.
and we have a winner
Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The scariest thing I ran over was a claw hammer. It was just the head of the hammer, no handle. I was mowing at a gas station in the city. It shot out of the mower and went across the the street and hit the side of a row home as a woman was walking by. She screamed I thought it hit her but it just startled her. When I walked across the street to check on her I saw that it was a claw hammer head. It could have killed that lady. It shook me up pretty good.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Hit a 4' blacksnake the other day in 10-12" grass. I didn't even know I hit it, but the homeowner and her kids saw it, came out to look at it, and, asked me to toss it out of the yard. To my surprise, not a single mark on the snakes body other than the single severing cut. The head was also intact, about 30 yards from the body, severed about 3" down on the neck.

I really hate to kill blacksnakes, they are very beneficial to man, and are reasonably harmonious to live with.. not poisonous, love to eat rodents...easy on mower blades, etc, etc.

CLHippers Home Services

Everride
Toro
Exmark
Scag
Classen
Turfco
Brown
Stihl
Meyer
SnowEx
Shovels, rakes and stuff