Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last thing I ran over was a pry bar, which was a week from this past Saturday. Mower's still in the shop... the crank shaft got bent up pretty bad, and they had to order the parts from God knows where. At least, at my company, I'm not the only one who ran something over to cause such damage. A number of years ago, my brother ran over a cinder block with one of his Hondas.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

once i hit an angle iron property marker because the previous company cut the grass at 4 inches for some reason so the first time i cut it at 2 1/2 i bent my mower blade
Old 05-11-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ran over a red belly black snake, didn't see it till to late with ZTR. However luckily didn't step on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when i first started out mowing with my 52" scag hydro walkbehind, i was mowing around a cherry tree fairly new one too, it was probably 3" in diameter, and i was turning around it, being a new guy, i turned blade side first....and got a little too close, well, needless to say the blade caught it and quickly chopped down and mulched up this expensive to me at the time cherry tree. being 14 when it happened back in 2004 i would say it was good learning experience. but i've ran over bud light cans full and empty just to see what would happen, glass bottles. the a tennis ball, the usually sticks, a wrench...golf balls usually don't get sucked up when i go over them....i was trying to run one over and see it go out the other side but at 3.50" it was far from the blades so i dropped the deck to 3" still nothing, then 2.75" still nothing then 2.5" still nothing so finally i dropped the deck down 1.75" and with the blades down in the dirt i sent the golf ball flying back into my neighbors yard. tennis balls are usually too low as well, but i dropped the deck down low enough so i would send it flying into the woods. those are the worst things i've hit, whenever i see roots sticking above the ground i float to deck a little so i go over them.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
when i first started out mowing with my 52" scag hydro walkbehind, i was mowing around a cherry tree fairly new one too, it was probably 3" in diameter, and i was turning around it, being a new guy, i turned blade side first....and got a little too close, well, needless to say the blade caught it and quickly chopped down and mulched up this expensive to me at the time cherry tree. being 14 when it happened back in 2004 i would say it was good learning experience. but i've ran over bud light cans full and empty just to see what would happen, glass bottles. the a tennis ball, the usually sticks, a wrench...golf balls usually don't get sucked up when i go over them....i was trying to run one over and see it go out the other side but at 3.50" it was far from the blades so i dropped the deck to 3" still nothing, then 2.75" still nothing then 2.5" still nothing so finally i dropped the deck down 1.75" and with the blades down in the dirt i sent the golf ball flying back into my neighbors yard. tennis balls are usually too low as well, but i dropped the deck down low enough so i would send it flying into the woods. those are the worst things i've hit, whenever i see roots sticking above the ground i float to deck a little so i go over them.
Weren't u worried about hitting someone with golf balls etc, geeze I worry about a rock hitting window from trimmer, let alone golf balls at the neighbour. Dude...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Weren't u worried about hitting someone with golf balls etc, geeze I worry about a rock hitting window from trimmer, let alone golf balls at the neighbour. Dude...
Posted via Mobile Device
no one was outside, and were i live the houses aren't right on top of each other, so there's a decent little distance, plus how my yard is setup my house is closer to road, and my two neighbors have 600ft plus driveways, so where the golf ball was really didn't even make it to his yard. it went across his driveway into the woods. still pretty fun to see it get launched out...
Old 05-12-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another Da@# water meter in tall grass and a dead, bloated possum, also in tall grass. Man, that smell!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My backpack blower.
With my trailer.

On two separate occasions.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Lawn View Post
Another Da@# water meter in tall grass and a dead, bloated possum, also in tall grass. Man, that smell!!!
Claimed a dead squirrel last week on a new apartment complex property. Shot it out into the road and walked out there to see what I had ran over. Also almost ran over a pale of fecal matter buried deep in tall grass. That would have been really bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
My backpack blower.
With my trailer.

On two separate occasions.
Been there done that multiple times. I feel for ya man.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I ran over a dead racoon with my 48 last week. Not on purpose it was a mess.
Posted via Mobile Device