Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ball1018 View Post
I ran over a dead racoon with my 48 last week. Not on purpose it was a mess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Gotta love the smell of rotting mammal flesh.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
once i hit an angle iron property marker because the previous company cut the grass at 4 inches for some reason so the first time i cut it at 2 1/2 i bent my mower blade
And now you know the reason!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I have run over the usual dog crap, tennis balls, dog toys, etc... But today I almost hit a baby snake! I was trimming around house prior to mowing and the house is out in country. Grass is very tall since it's a biweekly account and has a septic field. I was startled at first and thought I hit it but I quickly started looking around for others. I started high stepping through the high grass to truck to get camera but it was gone when I got back. I was wearing khaki cargo shorts but from now on I'm only wearing khaki cargo pants. Oh, and I believe the snake was a cooperhead.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I've had two very odd ones in the last week. Monday I was doing the outside of a property and went around a blind corner and thank god I saw it out of the corner of my eye and stopped. A cat.. Not a dead one, but a napping cat. Never moved. I was on a 60" exmark 30hp blades wide open and it took the cat every bit of 10 seconds to wake up. Lol. The other one is I was pushing my 22" having a blast when a rock that was slightly larger than a golf ball flew out the back and hit me right in the center of my chest. Almost knocked the breath out of me. That one sucked. Also of course the usual dog poop, rocks, roots, dog toys, rope.
2006 Exmark LaserZ 60" cut, 30hp Kohler
2011 Robin NB2250Z trimmer
Redmax EB4401 backpack blower
Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Earlier this year I ran over 12 ga shot gun shell and it went off. It was a very light load that someone had dropped that had been shooting skeet. Heard the noise but found no damage.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Running over dead animals is the worst thing ever. I remember thinking I hit a stump until I smelled that God awful odor. Then moving them out of the way is even worse.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I was demoing a navigator and was pushing a full size soccer ball out of the way with the deck ( somthing i do all the time with my walker). The ball took a wierd bounce and when it came down the deck instantly jumped over it and sucked it in. I immediately thought i was going to destroy the mower and the dealer would forever hate me. The mower bogged for a quick second then revved back up, bagged the ball, and continued on like nothing happened. Needless to say, i was quite impressed.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uponone605 View Post
I was demoing a navigator and was pushing a full size soccer ball out of the way with the deck ( somthing i do all the time with my walker). The ball took a wierd bounce and when it came down the deck instantly jumped over it and sucked it in. I immediately thought i was going to destroy the mower and the dealer would forever hate me. The mower bogged for a quick second then revved back up, bagged the ball, and continued on like nothing happened. Needless to say, i was quite impressed.
Same here, only that I was with my 21"
the mower such the soccer ball and rapidly kick it out fast. The mower did not bugged because it happen so fast, it only made the ball a hole about the size of mi fist
Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four_Seasons View Post
Running over dead animals is the worst thing ever. I remember thinking I hit a stump until I smelled that God awful odor. Then moving them out of the way is even worse.
Moving them? That job is for someone else not me. I either mow around them or mulch em.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Today I ran over a small snake. It didn't get chopped up somehow but it sure didn't appreciate the tire rolling over it. Also was pulling up to a soda can to pick it up and it got sucked in. It was shredded.