Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I sucked up an entire shovel handle into the snowblower. It would have kept going if there wasnt the actually shovel blade on there

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 06-16-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have ever seen the dog toy called KONG. A large one was nestled in some 7-8" grass. I was on the Grandstand and saw it at the last second. Too late, felt it hit, looked back after I passed and it was gone. I looked for a good 5minutes and even looked to see if it got wedged under the deck in the baffle or something, it was no where. I finished the back yard at a 3/4 acre home and moved my way to the front. I had to move a small wheelbarrow in the front left by the homeowner and when I did, there it was laying next to the wheelbarrow. Picked it up and looked at it to make sure that was the one. Indeed there was one line where the blade had struck. The KONGs are super tough dense rubber and this one was propelled a good 80 ft to the house and another 30 ft over the house coming to rest another 30-40 ft into the front yard.
Attached Images

6.5 x 12 Single Open Trailer
2011 24/52" Toro Grandstand
2007 Toro 23/52" Z Master Z453 w/E-Z Vac
21" Craftsman Push
Echo SRM-260 Line Trimmer
Stihl KM 110R Kombi w/multiple attachments
Stihl BR-600 Backpack Blower
Echo HC-165 24" Hedge Trimmer
Echo HC-1500 20" Hedge Trimmer
Old 06-16-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yea. i hit one of those this week. several marks. no cuts. dang their strong. boxer dogs can still chew it up tho.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Aluminum baseball bat, while riding an old Derby three wheeler. Threw the bat about 200 yards onto a road and into traffic...priceless.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by procutcampbell View Post
Aluminum baseball bat, while riding an old Derby three wheeler. Threw the bat about 200 yards onto a road and into traffic...priceless.

Oh, crap.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

here in georgia we keep them in the indoor outhouse, they are great for when you run out of TP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
people that know the exact name of who they want to find. do not waste money advertising in the phone book its a dead media
Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

My employee ran over a gas line going into a field stone patio fireplace two weeks ago. To make matters worse he ignored it and didn't report it to me.

I got a call an hour later from my frantic customer saying we ruptured a gas line and her yard smelled of gas. Luckily she called the gas company and they had someone nearby come over and shut it off before something worse could happen.

The first estimate she got was for $1,200 to take apart the stone and replace the broken pipe and then put the stone back in. I talked to my friend who is a pipe fitter and he told me it was way overbid. She talked to me this week and said she got another quote for $400.

How would you guys handle this situation with your employee. He's 20 Y.O. new to this business and I am in the process of training him to hopefully become a long term employee...
Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I too ran over a kong this week they are tough.

Lots for sale
http://www.ebay.com/sch/approvedjdm/...&_trksid=p3692

Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thats a tough one. i guess it comes down to if it was an honest mistake. could he have not known? if it was an honest mistake, i would go about seeing how he learns from it.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Yesterday I took down a yard that had not been mowed in 2 years, as you can imagine it was more or less a wild field of 4 to 7 feet high. I walked through the yard and picked up 4 rugs, some boards, and a dog house.
While mowing a relatively short area, 18 to 24 inch high area I was going over and over a spot and kept noticing something hard my wheels where bumping over. After making 5 or 6 passes and finally getting to see the ground I noticed what I had been running over...

A full blown 4' long pitch fork. It had 4 prongs with 3/4" steel teeth... Gulp. Luckily it had been pushed down into the ground and didn't stick up anywhere. I picked it up and laid it on the front porch. I had my deck up high on 4", so it wasn't getting into anything too bad the entire yard. I saw 2 or 3 racquetballs, a frog, and a couple Frisbees. I did manage to vaporize a 6" PVC elbow that magically appeared, it was crunchy sounding.