Yes I was
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2014, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yclawncare View Post
Yes I was
Posted via Mobile Device
I know you were, I was talking about the guy that says he knew a deer was in the grass and ran over it. Pretty sick if he really did that.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Doing a rough cut for a guy who just moved into a place, I slammed into a wellhead that was covered with 3 feet of thick overgrowth. I back the wb out of the gusher and shut it down. Go to the door and tell him I hit his wellhead. He tells me there is no wellhead over there. He was wrong. He thought that since the tank and water softener were next to the house, that's where the wellhead also was. I expected an angry customer, but he just walked nonchalantly in the house and turned off the pump breaker. Comes back out and tells me not to worry about it - his brother is a plumber who lives next door and it will be fixed before I finish. Luckily I only broke the PVC section off. On a good note, I got the mower washed.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just for Cuts View Post
Doing a rough cut for a guy who just moved into a place, I slammed into a wellhead that was covered with 3 feet of thick overgrowth. I back the wb out of the gusher and shut it down. Go to the door and tell him I hit his wellhead. He tells me there is no wellhead over there. He was wrong. He thought that since the tank and water softener were next to the house, that's where the wellhead also was. I expected an angry customer, but he just walked nonchalantly in the house and turned off the pump breaker. Comes back out and tells me not to worry about it - his brother is a plumber who lives next door and it will be fixed before I finish. Luckily I only broke the PVC section off. On a good note, I got the mower washed.
Lucky that didn't turn into an insurance claim!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hit the grounding stake on a house last year. It was buried in tall grass and was abnormally far from the base of the house (around here, the stakes are usually within inches of the house. This one was about 3 feet from it, and the wire ran down the side of the house and under the dirt to the stake. Interesting). Stopped the mower dead, bent the blade downwards at about a 60 degree angle into the dirt, and sheared off the tabs on the blade adapter. Luckily, no bent shaft! Other than that, the usual: poo, dead birds hiding in the grass, occasional snake. I did throw a baseball size object up and over a 2 lane road one day as well. Not sure what it was because I never got a good look at it between it sailing through the air and me screaming "please don't hit a car" (discharge deflector was on the mower, it was a push mower with the removable chute. When this thing left the mower, it sent the chute flying the opposite direction. Odd!)
Old 03-11-2014, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I posted on this thread a while back about running over a deer, a fawn to be exact. Not pretty and they will stay right there and won't move. They don't have any scent when they are newborn so the mother will leave them somewhere and they won't move for nothing. Predators can't pick them off cause of no scent unless they are basically on top of them. Anyway long grass, the deer not moving and no mother in sight didn't help and before you know it, there it is! I thought it was a bunny at first til my trimmer guy picked up what he thought was a rabbits foot...turns out it was a deer foot. Normally I would have walked the lawn but i had cut it about two months before and it was in the middle of the lawn so who would have thought a deer would be there....
Old 03-12-2014, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
I hope you are kidding.
I wish I was. It didn't chop it to bits or anything. It just spit the poor thing out.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

45lbs dumbbell. In foot tall grass. Day ender
Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Several to list but the worst was a cat. My first thought was newspaper but definitely a cat. There was a pink mist, parts and fur everywhere. Went to the truck, got a beer out of the cooler from the night before and poured some on the ground then my guys blew the fur away.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2014, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
I know you were, I was talking about the guy that says he knew a deer was in the grass and ran over it. Pretty sick if he really did that.
I didn't do it on purpose! I'm not a psycho!

It ruined my day, actually.

Same thing happened when I ran over a bunch of bunnies in a burrow. I had to quit for the day. It was horrific.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds