Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2009, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention, years ago we used to mow atruck stop and it was always ajoy. Besides all the other stuff, you hit pcs of 2x4 and the best 1 was a black thick, coat hanger-that came out in pieces. Also once ayear we'd do a rough cut w/ the bush hog and the truckers would often empty out their trucks way in the back. You'd find everything from watermelons in apile of straw to dead animal carcasses. The worst thing I actually hit though is, the truckers were too lazy to walk up to the building to pee, so they'd use a 1gallon, plastic milk bottle and just throw it out the window, we'd come by w/ the bush hog, after it cooked in the sun for a few weeks and splat-what a stink!
Old 07-07-2009, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Today I hit 5 dead fire works, it was in really high grass
Ferris 32
Toro 21
Redmax BCZ2401s, Redmax HE225f, Redmax EBZ7100 Kawasaki KRB300
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 07-07-2009, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go1965- that must not have been a fun experience, expecially at seven.

One time I was mowing down a large patch of ivy. The house was right on the corner of a busy road and there was a lot of trash there. It was hard to se it all because the ivy was pretty tall, but all of a sudden the mower hit something and just cut off. I moved it back and there was a shoe there. Pretty amazing to see all the trash that people throw out just because they're lazy.
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 07-07-2009, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have more. Fire works today too and easter eggs !!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LACROSSE BALLS!!!

they truely ROCKET!! I launched one at LEAST 150 yards. in my yard, i sh*t myself when i thought it was gonna go through one of the truck windows but it didnt thankfully.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pry bar left in tall grass by a roofer, dog run line. Scariest one not me but one of our grounds crew sent a 3 inch bolt through a classroom window that had a room full of 4th graders that had just gone out to lunch; glass everywhere. Would have been serious injury lawsuit if the kids were there.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedog View Post
Pry bar left in tall grass by a roofer, dog run line. Scariest one not me but one of our grounds crew sent a 3 inch bolt through a classroom window that had a room full of 4th graders that had just gone out to lunch; glass everywhere. Would have been serious injury lawsuit if the kids were there.
i vote u win most serious one. not funniest tho.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thankyou that's an award nobody really wants. We told him previously to shoot it away from the school but he's one of these guy's with an attitude problem. He's lucky he still has a job. Cutting is no longer allowed on that slope when school is in session.The slope is higher than the school so if you pick something up with the mower and your discharge is pointed in that direction and the shield is up (which it shouldn't be) you get the picture. Really shouldn't be there during school hours, teachers complain about the noise and the dust, and the smell "it makes the allergic kids have asthma attacks"etc.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedog View Post
Thankyou that's an award nobody really wants. We told him previously to shoot it away from the school but he's one of these guy's with an attitude problem. He's lucky he still has a job. Cutting is no longer allowed on that slope when school is in session.The slope is higher than the school so if you pick something up with the mower and your discharge is pointed in that direction and the shield is up (which it shouldn't be) you get the picture. Really shouldn't be there during school hours, teachers complain about the noise and the dust, and the smell "it makes the allergic kids have asthma attacks"etc.
it must be a private school since its not maintained by the town? around here the town maintains the grounds at the public schools?
Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Public School, I work fulltime for the town and landscape parttime with my sons. A lot of town employees have a sideline,snowplow,tree service, construction contractors,that whey your medical benefits and pension is covered under a group plan.It costs a small fortune for health coverage to insure your family under an individual plan I don't know how small business owners do it.