Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-26-2009, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am susprised no one else has hit any large tree roots sticking out, I get one almost ebery week, they just suck
Ferris 32
Toro 21
Redmax BCZ2401s, Redmax HE225f, Redmax EBZ7100 Kawasaki KRB300
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 07-26-2009, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerdude777 View Post
I am susprised no one else has hit any large tree roots sticking out, I get one almost ebery week, they just suck
I have done that a couple times, almost forgot about them.

I ran over a small rug the other day, I had to get my cutters and clean off thr spindle underneith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3mudder View Post
I have done that a couple times, almost forgot about them.

I ran over a small rug the other day, I had to get my cutters and clean off thr spindle underneith.
That must of sucked
Ferris 32
Toro 21
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerdude777 View Post
That must of sucked
Well, it was better than a rol of wire I can say that much.

Oh forgot one. So, we have this volleyball court in the back yard and we have rope that goes the perimeter so we know the boundries. Well, I was mowing with the brush cutter and sure enough it sucked it up and started whiping it around, It was funny to watch until I crawled underneith to unravel the mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningside View Post
I bought a wb from 4.3 Mudder and it was a great deal. he was honest and it was easy.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.3mudder View Post
Well, it was better than a rol of wire I can say that much.

Oh forgot one. So, we have this volleyball court in the back yard and we have rope that goes the perimeter so we know the boundries. Well, I was mowing with the brush cutter and sure enough it sucked it up and started whiping it around, It was funny to watch until I crawled underneith to unravel the mess.
I hit this gay tee shirt with my 32 once, It was funny untill I had to retrive it from under the deck
Ferris 32
Toro 21
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 07-27-2009, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a first!.. a long chain of events through out two days.

We were mowing a large commercial property where plenty of ground hogs and rabbits live, going along at full speed, then out comes a rabbit from it's hole, right in front of the mower. No more head on the rabbit. Later in the day the same mower hit a large rock and shot it into the side of the building, putting a decent dent in it. (3" rock or so)

Next day I was mowing a residential yard and I slid sideways down a hill right into a cut-off 4X4 fence post. It went right under the deck and cracked the spindle when it hit.

Next day I replaced the spindle. Everything was all set, fired up the mower and turned on the blades, then BAM! I hear something hit something else. We checked all the cars, no dents or broken windows.. couldn't figure out what it was. Everything looked okay on the mower.

Later that evening my neighbor came over and said "Hey, I found this IN my front door. Is this yours?" It was my deep socket I used under the deck to change the spindle. It got left on the nut, shot out the deck, shattered his front glass door, and dented the metal door. Easily could have killed someone. Scary.

So, he got some new glass in his door.

Separate story. My neighbor and I were using "Big Bertha", the 7' brush hog behind a NH TC45. We were standing around watching my neighbor when a 8" boulder came flying out, right towards my neighbors buddy. This guy is well over 350 pounds, sits on a dozer all day, and can barely move. Well, he moved this time! You had to be there to see it, but it was absolutely hilarious watching this guy run for cover behind his truck.

Lawn Pro - Complete Lawn and Landscape Care
www.LawnProOutdoor.com
Old 07-27-2009, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Tennis balls, golf balls, stuff animals, newspaper, sprinklers, steel valve box, eyebolt to a lid on a septic tank, gas meter (sheared the iron pipe in half), roots, fishing string (the worst), plastic bags, beer cans. I was mowing on a hill with my gravely 152, and the belt that runs the pumps broke and i flew down the hill and took out an entire fence. Luckily i had time to bail before it hit. That scared the sh$% out of me. When i was younger i was cutting my dads house and a rock shot out of the discharge and hit my dad in the forhead about 75 feet away. Needless to say he had to go to the emergency room and get about 10 stitches in his head. That was probrably the worst.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Now you said it, i guess i hit lots of roots... I just forgot, because it happens regularly, and isnt as memorable as something like a sewer top...

09 3500HD Rebuild Picture Thread (Totaled in Tornado)
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...77#post3862277

Old 08-07-2009, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

funny this is my first post. The worst i've hit was a dead cat (big un) in front of a complex that gets mowed every other week w/ customers walking in and out. it was about 6 ft from taller grass and i wasn't about to pick it up so i figured i would just run over it a couple more times to fling it to the taller grass. smelt awful and on the second hit black fur and guts went every where. About puked but tried to keep the mower between the mess and the people while i got another mower to run over the mess a couple times to hide it. Still ended up with some red grass. I don't know how i didn't see it before i hit it.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I mowed over a rubber duck and a real chipmunk within an hour of each other this week.