Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Sponsor

Texas Legislation

Has anyone in TX been following the progress of the TX House Bill 2649?

Apparently, there was language that sneaked into an amendment to restrict lighting design to certain engineering and architectural professions. I read that the IES and IALD supported a very effective grass roots and lobbying campaign to protest the amendment.

According to an IALD press release (http://www.iald.org/media/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=521&), the protest was successful and the language was withdrawn.

All you TX guys should be very grateful to the IES and IALD for going to bat for you.

Anyone have any further details?

stevep@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Professional Quality at a Great Price
Old 06-10-2009, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Who were the parties that were paying off the public officials to introduce the bill?

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

here is what I got....

Lighting Industry Insiders Help Avert Outlawing Non-Licensed Lighting Designers in Texas
Source/Type: Reported News

Author: LIGHTimes News Staff

June 9, 2009... On May 27, 2009, the Texas State Legislature passed House Bill 2649, which included amendments that essentially outlaw non-licensed lighting designers in the state. Specifically the bill stated, "A person may not perform or offer to perform lighting design services unless that person is: licensed as an engineer under this chapter; registered as an architect, landscape architect, or interior designer…."

The bill was reportedly received in committee on May 8th, and it was reported out of committee on may 23. Then it subsequently was passed in the Texas State Legislature. Apparently an influential constituent prompted the a State Legislator to propose that part of the bill.

Many in the lighting community complained that the fast passage of the bill did not allow input from those it would effect. Hundreds of phone calls and protest letters were received. Texas Senator Kip Averitt, the principal sponsor of the language in the bill, indicated that he would be willing to allow the problem to be referred to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation for further study. IES Public Letter, and IALD News Release
Old 06-10-2009, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

That was a scary few days. I heard about the bill passing and what changes may take place and nearly lost my lunch. It's ridiculous how easily some politicians agenda can affect so many people.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its scared the crap out of me! When i heard of it, it had passed, and those guys had already overturned it. I couldnt believe it got past some of us but it did. So glad it didnt actually pass.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 06-10-2009, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Absolutely absurd! To think that an "interior designer" would be better educated and more experienced in the craft of Lighting Design than a Lighting Designer. Makes you shake your head and wonder doesn't it?

You guys down there just have WAY too many rules, regulations and laws! What ever happened to "Land of the free" ?

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Works Lighting View Post
Absolutely absurd! To think that an "interior designer" would be better educated and more experienced in the craft of Lighting Design than a Lighting Designer. Makes you shake your head and wonder doesn't it?

You guys down there just have WAY too many rules, regulations and laws! What ever happened to "Land of the free" ?

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 06-11-2009, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Works Lighting View Post

The Left and right coasters voted in Chancelor Obama, that is what happened. Hmmm, ramming through legislation in a hurry in the dark of night before anyone notices. This sounds familiar.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 06-11-2009, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

yeah, it makes total sense that obama is behind this, and not a group of engineers, landscape architects, or interior designers that donated to the committee members campaign that submitted the bill.

I would be behind a bill that would restrict the trade to folks who had to pass a comprehensive test and get yearly continuing eduaction credits for licensing purposes, and use the fees generated to pay folks to inspect jobs and police/investigate those who do not know what they are doing.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

well texas is the land of the lawyers from what I understand, we're catching up though in nc