Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Leasing Equiptment from PT LCO

This maybe an extremely odd idea but here it goes. I have a brother in law who cuts grass after his day job (most days). I run a Tax Prep Office so I have lots of free time from May until Nov each year. I want to cut grass during the day to make a little extra cash (and stop spending, idle hands-devils playground, etc). Since, my b-i-l doesn't want to commit to yards he can't fit into his evening, he is opposed to hiring day help (for when he is working his 9-5) to cut. I realize that helping out in the evening can mean only a small increase in his profits if I am to be paid a decent wage. So I thought, what if, I start my own lawn care business. I secure my own insurance, license, etc. I lease his equipment on a daily basis for a percent of my gross. If I make the contact with the customer, then all he gets is this daily % of gross. If he refers me to a job (he bids it out at a price I agree to, but then subcontracts it to me) he gets an additional percentage. Now for the hard part, what should these percentages be? Be honest, if there is no way in he!! that you would consider this say so. I'm thinking around 30-35% lease percentage of gross and 10-15% percentage added for those he subcontracts to me. Would this be fair? Keep in mind, that his equipment is currently idle during the day and any money above the increase in maintenance costs/ wear and tear is pure profit. If I can gross $300 per day (6 $50 yards) for 5 days per week, that's $1500. His cut would be $450-$525 at my numbers. After 5 months of 4 weeks per month, that's $9000-$10500. More than enough to maintain his Ferris ZTR, Exmark push mower, blowers, and trimmers. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, etc?
Thanks,
Doug
Old 05-28-2009, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

50 views and nobody has anything to add, comment on or make me think about? Come on guys, I would really like to think this thing through. I think I have but maybe I haven't, thats what I need your input on.
Doug
Old 05-28-2009, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok honestly i wouldnt do it, Number one you generaly dont mix money with family and the second one is he may be envious of you and screw you over and not let you use his machines if I were you I would do it until i had enough money for a small set up of my own but wouldnt recomend it.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

well if you start small and slowly get your own equipment you will make a lot more money then if you are giving 9000 a year to your broher in law
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 05-31-2009, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would never mix business and family. I have been burned too many times with that. You should just buy a mower and trimmer and start cutting. As you get more money buy better equipment. Sounds easy enough....that's what I'm doing

Old 06-01-2009, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Who fixes the equipment when it breaks? I would be pertty mad if I came home from work ready to go mow my lawns and the mower was broke and no shops were open to get parts.