Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2009, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A Question About Mower Sounds?

Yesterday I got my first ztr. A Bad Boy Pup. I sat back and watched my wife do the first mowing. The motor and blades sounded so fine. A engine hum, and the whirling of the blades. Then it was my turn. I ware ear plugs. As I was getting into the groove listening to the rig run, I noticed an oscillating harmonic hum. I stopped and took my ear plugs out. Nothing but the sweet sound of the motor and blades. I put the plugs in, and there was that oscillating harmonic hum that has to be the hydro pumps. The sound was similar to an air conditioning compressor cycling. Kind of like this,

HM HM HM HM hm hm hm hm HM HM HM HM hm hm hm hm HM HM HM HM hm hm hm hm HM HM HM HM hm hm hm hm HM HM HM HM hm hm hm hm HM HM HM HM hm hm hm hm HM HM HM HM hm hm hm hm HM HM HM HM hm hm hm hm

only a much longer sound wave. I only hear that sound wave with the ear plugs in.

I know through the years that wearing hearing protection I hear more mechanical workings of the equipment I'm running.

I was wondering if the was a common sound to the hydro pumps?

If so, I'm going to have to get me some sound proof ipod music ear buds, because that oscillating sound is going to drive me crazy!!

ms
Old 06-11-2009, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Member

you'll get used to it and tune it out...I listen to my Worktunes and can still hear it if I pay attention which I do just to make sure everything is running right...but you get that more with the feeling of the mower then hearing...at least for me...joe
PJ 16' double axe trailer
Echo trimmers & blowers
Old 06-11-2009, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

YEA! That's what I'm talking about! I have tinnitus. So I don't hear some sounds. But the feeling of the way equipment is running is something I very keen too!

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS_SURVEYOR View Post
YEA! That's what I'm talking about! I have tinnitus. So I don't hear some sounds. But the feeling of the way equipment is running is something I very keen too!

Thanks!
Tell us what you think about the mower and power?
Old 06-11-2009, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OH! Puppypaws! You Missed this one!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...31#post3034731

I didn't get a chance to mow today. May be not tomorrow being it's the wife's bday. But I'll be moving to the tuff test with better pictures this weekend.

ms
Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ear plugs/muffs will reduce some frequencies more than others. Try some muffs and see if you can still hear it. You will probably pick up on some different noise.

Youtube Channel... http://tinyurl.com/l9a3843
Old 06-11-2009, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The noise your hearing is not the pumps. I have and hear the exact same sound when using any type of hearing protection. I can't tell you exactly what is causing the noise but it's not the pumps. I think it has something to do with the echoing from covering your ears. It gets real bad when I use a specific set of hearing protection. Others on here know exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The noise you're hearing is the blade tips going in and out of phase. Each blade turns at a very slightly different RPM. The noise gets louder as the blade tips get closer to each other. You hear the HM HM HM HM when the blade tips pass near each other. You hear the hm hm hm hm when they don't'

Q
Old 06-11-2009, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As stated you are actually hearing the blades. The pumps on the BB do, however, make a lot of noise. Mine "wine" more than other z's i've run. It's nothing to be concerned with but for some it's an annoyance.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks! I plan on running some testing on the different sounds! I love hearing the different sounds equipment make with ear plug or head phones on. Puts me in tune with my mower.

One thing I though about was I had the dealer loosen and tighten the spindle bolts so it wouldn't be so hard to remove the blade when the time came. Makes me wonder!!!

I don't have time to play right now. It's my wife's birthday, and the house ac is acting up. Dang unit is only 2 years old, and the fan motor on the compressor went out last year, and now the same thing is happening. I hate ac techs because I don't know a darn thing about air conditioning units. It's hard to just blind trust someone. A doctor, a dentist, but a ac tech? WTF!!

ms