Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2009, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro Pump part question

So I need to replace a hydro pump on a ZTR. I know the pump is bad because after doing all the usual stuff, changing fluid, bleeding air out, checking belt and adjustments I still have far less power on right side. I even swapped wheel motors and the problem stayed on the right side, meaning (to me) both wheel motors are fine and it is the right side pump.

Question is, when I look at J-thomas for example I see a listing under the mower parts for hydro pump for like $470 with the j-thomas part number and corresponding OEM number. However looking at the pumps I can see that they are Hydro Gear BDP-10L-119 pumps. On a different page in J-thomas they list new pumps by these numbers and it is $450.

Now I don't care about $20 so which should I buy?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Was this a kubota

Were you using it on alot of hills
Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah real hilly here. I am not questioning why I need a pump. Only wondering if there is a difference because of the part numbers / prices. Which one should I get?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what goes on these pump? I got the old one out it a BDP-10L-119P Hydra Gear. I opened up the case, dumped the fluid threw a screen. no metal. No wear showing on parts inside the case, (pistons, springs, rotor) Charge pump on top looks clean. Just wondering if something could have failed that could be replaced. Pump was moving fluid just not as much as other side.

For example when going up a hill I had to have that stick all the way forward with the other about have way and still would only barely climb the hill.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

well I took it apart further and in the check valve (number 8 in picture below) I found a piece of metal about the size of a popcorn kernel. It had managed to wedge the plunger at the end of the spring over. Maybe this was keeping it from building pressure? The thing is I can't find where the metal came from. My only thought is that it is a remaining piece from when a wheel motor went 2 years ago and I had the dealer replace all the wheel motors and pumps. Maybe it has been in the system since then and just got sucked in. I blew out all the lines now and screened all the fluid and found no other metal.

Should I clean it up and put it back together? Or should I order a new pump?

http://www.j-thomas.com/catalog/199_...s_bdp-10l.html