Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2009, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why does my pressure washer keep shutting off on me?

I know this isnt a mowing related question, but just thought I'd throw it out there. I have a honda gas pressure washer and though i only really use it to clean our machines, it dies like every 5 minutes and its hard to start all the time. I've had it for a long time and havent done much as far as maintenance so I'm thinking of just tearing the whole thing apart, seeing what makes it tick, cleaning and replacing bad parts, and see what happens. Any suggestions on whats causing the problem?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

MY 02 cents i also have a honda washer it only does that for me when i first start using it. 1.check to see if you have a kink in your hose not enough water will cause it to heat up and seals go bad. 2. never leave it run for more than a couple of min. with out spraying water heats up just siting in the pump.3. how is your oil level I think hondas engines have a low engine oil shut off.? 4. when mine gets hard to start i have some hold the trigger to keep pressure off the pump. not and expert on this but hope this helps
Old 06-14-2009, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How long since the last oil/spark plug change ?

Mounted to the block near the stop switch should be a small silver module, unplug the black wire leading behind the flywheel cover. This will eliminate the low oil shut-down sensor, Then test run the unit.

I have seen units that looked like the oil had never been changed, It looked like tar. This prevented the in-block level sensor from working properly killing spark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto on what Restro suggests. If the unit will run with the low oil sensor lead to the coil pulled and an oil change does not correct the problem then likely the sensor is bad. I have seen several failures of the oil sensor and if I'm not mistaken the cover plate must be removed to replace it. Correct me if I'm wrong with that info.

Dutch
Old 06-15-2009, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok i took started taking the pressure washer apart today. Its actually not a Honda, but a Briggs & Stratton 6.5hp (I dunno why I thought it was a honda) its an Excel vr2500 (and I dont even know who sells Excel- neither Home Depot nor Lowes has that brand and I would have sworn I got it at one of those two) but anyway, the spark plug was all caked up, the air filter was dirty and soaking wet (Reason?) and the neck from the carb to the engine was actually broken in half! Im surprised the machine even ran. So besides the obvious (new plug, air filter, and neck), anything else I should check? I've got the machine torn down to the engine, but not all the way to the pistons. Im not sure if I should go that far (since I dont know that much about engines yet) or just try these fixes and see if they work. But the wet air filter has me worried???