Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2009, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Bob-cat fast cat pro

I have a few questions to ask you guys out there. What do you guys think about this mower for doing 10-20 accounts a week? My dealer has it with the 23 vanguard for 5800 otd. i mean is it over kill? i just am being pushed towards buying new with everyone trying to get top dollar for there used crap. I basically am wondering the difference between the zt-2800 trans axles and the zt-3400 transaxles this mower has. Should i stay away from these? should i look into the snapper pro 150 instead , which is in the price range? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys..
Old 06-11-2009, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i think thats the high end homeowner version although im not sure. if so, id put my money into a nice used commerical ZTR

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats considered a good used mower... anything under a 1000 hrs? 800?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

gues nobody knows....still open for opinions
Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not the homeowner mower, it is a true commercial mower, but that dealer is killing you on the price. We use those on residentials because they're light weight (comparatively) get into tight places and are fast. We have 4 of those with the Kawasaki 19HP engines which are plenty of power.

Great mowers, that have been extremely durable and given zero problems. BUT I pay under 5K out the door on our spec (canister air filters, mulch kit and suspension seats) on the fleet program and I know the local dealer will sell them for 54-5500 bucks out the door (with the suspension seat) to anyone who walks in the place.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
It's not the homeowner mower, it is a true commercial mower, but that dealer is killing you on the price. We use those on residentials because they're light weight (comparatively) get into tight places and are fast. We have 4 of those with the Kawasaki 19HP engines which are plenty of power.

Great mowers, that have been extremely durable and given zero problems. BUT I pay under 5K out the door on our spec (canister air filters, mulch kit and suspension seats) on the fleet program and I know the local dealer will sell them for 54-5500 bucks out the door (with the suspension seat) to anyone who walks in the place.

Sp you actually have this fast cat pro with the zt-3400 transaxles....? how are they? do they whine alot? i thought this was a light commercial model. and what should i tell this dealer i can do on this fast cat pro with the vanguard? 5400? isnt the kaw a better engine? thanks for the info too by the way.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They're just smaller pumps... it's a small machine, it doesn't need the big pumps. They make less noise than the pro-cats do which is neglible anyway.

We only buy ZTRs with Kaw engines. We've had Kohlers in the past and their not "bad" the Command series of engines are very good. But we've gotten better service and fuel ecomony with the Kawasaki's.

Can't tell you what to do about your dealer. I'd call one nearby.... maybe in the next town and tell him you're a "buyer" and to give you his best out the door price. Then either buy it from him or go back to the local guy and say here's what I can buy it for... match the price or I go give the other guy my money...
Old 06-12-2009, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

So are you suggesting i stay away from the vanguard motor from briggs?
Old 06-12-2009, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

You may consider a less expensive alternative. I have been using a Cub Cadet residential Z force mower with dual ZT 2800 trans. I use it for a 30 unit condo development as well as several other accounts. I weighs only 602 lbs moves at 8 mph, fits into tight place, causes little rutting, is cheap to operate, and I can get any parts overnighted right from MTD. I demoed a Scag wasn't that overly impressed and figured at $3600. I can buy two of these for the price of a Scag. This is a picture of it's cut from a job yesterday.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2009, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB217 View Post
So are you suggesting i stay away from the vanguard motor from briggs?
NO the Vanguard is the only briggs engine that's worth a damn.