Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2009, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Another Stihl FS90 or Shindaiwa 242

Have been running as a solo guy and have had to take on an employee to keep up with the work load. Need to buy another trimmer and wanted to get some opinions. I have a FS90 and like it, but I'm not so brand loyal that I won't buy other stuff. Looking at the Shindaiwa 242....any opinions? Also toss in your own brand/model for me to take a look at if you are happy with it....priced around $300
Old 06-11-2009, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy creek View Post
Have been running as a solo guy and have had to take on an employee to keep up with the work load. Need to buy another trimmer and wanted to get some opinions. I have a FS90 and like it, but I'm not so brand loyal that I won't buy other stuff. Looking at the Shindaiwa 242....any opinions? Also toss in your own brand/model for me to take a look at if you are happy with it....priced around $300
Personnally, I run Stihl products. I love them and they have been good to me. I have ran a Shindaiwa before, however, and thought it was a good machine. I would probably go with the best dealer in your area. If you have a good dealer, I would buy his brand. Stihl is the best product for me, but they do seem to be a little heavier. Maybe tha's why they last so long Thanks and good luck.

97 F-150
Hustler Super Mini Z
Stihl Equipment
Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

my dealer sells Stihl, Shindaiwa as well as Echo so the dealer support isn't an issue, won't even be switching dealers.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I personaly like Red max the most but I also would recoment a sthil
Ferris 32
Toro 21
Redmax BCZ2401s, Redmax HE225f, Redmax EBZ7100 Kawasaki KRB300
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 06-13-2009, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I run a M242 and T242 they work great.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have both the 90 and some 242's and after my stihl quits on me and who knows when that will be i will run all shindaiwa as they are much smoother and not sure of the specs but feel much lighter. Dont get me wrong Stihl makes great equipment and i have other stihl stuff but imo Shindaiwa is much smoother and lighter for my uses. Go check them out and thats the only way you will know personally what you like and whats best for you. J. Thomas had the 242's for 229 i believe it was a couple months ago and they go for 299 around here at dealers.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I personally stick with Stihl for everything. I have two stihl trimmers, an FS90R and a FS110R. The FS110R is actually lighter and more powerfull than the 90. But there's a good price gap between the two also. I fix mowers and small equipment on the side and the stihl is the probably the least product that is brought in for repair, and 9 times out of 10 it's user error that brings them to the shop to be fixed. I use nothing but stihl products for the business and they hold up well and last a long time. Highly recommend them.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy creek View Post
my dealer sells Stihl, Shindaiwa as well as Echo so the dealer support isn't an issue, won't even be switching dealers.
I would ask the dealer for a demo. I'm not bashing echo, but they sure didn't work out for us. All 4 were hanging in the shop by the end of the season. I would definitely go with the stihl or shindi. Ask for a demo. Good luck! Let us know what you went with and how you like it.

97 F-150
Hustler Super Mini Z
Stihl Equipment
Old 06-13-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned a Shindaiwa T260 (24.1cc, the T242 is 23.9cc), and a run a friend's Stihl FS 110R, and the Stihl was amuch nicer unit. It was a little heavier, but the power without hardly reving the engine was amazing. Now, since you already have an FS 90, I would probably get the Shindaiwa if I was you, because it's 1 pound lighter. But, you will definitely want an FS 90 around to give you some serious power. Actually, my dream setup would be an FS 90 as the big gun, and the T242 as a backup for less demanding jobs. You won't be dissapointed with the Shindaiwa, but just know that the Stihl's ARE much tougher made. That's why they weigh a little more.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

i run all shindaiwa hand helds, minus backpack blowers i like tanaka backpack blowers. i order those from a company in florida and they come straight from japan. i love the shindaiwas handhelds, they start up on the second pull. which most small engines like that do. i used to run stihl and i like them also but they never started on the second pull im sorry. it was always 3 or 4. dont be afraid at all to buy them. i have some edgers that are 8 years old and all i have done is replaced filters and plugs. how can you beat that. i have buddies in town that have stihl backpack blowers that are in the shop all the time? i dont worry about price very much when buying tools like handhelds because they are used hard day in and out. why buy a hyundai with a great warranty when you could buy a bmw with a lesser wARRANTY. all your buying is a guaranteed pos.