Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2009, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Breaking into Commercial

I have had little success breaking into the commercial market. It seems most of the jobs just go to the largest company around. When is the best time of year to get my name out there to these properties and what has been your best method of obtaining them?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

basically you have to get and rfi (request for info) from the property manager. this will tell you what you need to bid on. such as turf maint, summer anuals fall clean ups, fall anuals, plowing etc. you want to do this in the fall so the contract will start ant the beggining of the year. jan 1st. but you want to talk to some property managers.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

How can i find out what property managers manage what places without actually having to go to each place and ask them?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awood0909 View Post
How can i find out what property managers manage what places without actually having to go to each place and ask them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2009, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

U will have to still go to the place and ask or talk to some property managment companies
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2009, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

when i started mowing 10 years ago i had all residential accounts. now i have commercial, condos & private subdivisions. i never had success going to property managers or door to door businesses. the fact is they are too busy & dont care to change. it feels like they dont even want to talk to me. keep doing a good job and you will get your chance. however if you do see a property that does not look good. i would ask to see the maintenance manager
Old 06-15-2009, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Th current commercial account I have started just like that. A friend of mine stopped in the store and ask about the 2 foot tall shoots in the grass.(Place looked horrible). Same company, different location looked the same. I put 2 and 2 together and went in asking why it was not maintained. Apparently the grass guy wnet AWOL on them. A couple questions, a couple calls and a month later I had over 20 locations. Keep your eyes WIDE Open and it will work out.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here in the northeast, most commercial properties are managed by a real estate management company. One office may have 10-100 properties. I used to handle over a million in commercial maintenence contracts and can tell you a few key reasons why they delt with us.

1.We were always available....always!
2.We made things happen fast. no hey i need more money or well it was raining so i couldnt.
3.We focused on meeting or exceeding THEIR expectations..not ours. By that I mean no 2 are the same. One property may want to only pay x amount or want to cut x amount from the budget. You need to figure a way how to accomodate them. Be their partner...help them find a way.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head.